Driveshaft speed monitoring .

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I was told the best way to dial in your converter is to have accurate motor and driveshaft rpm . So after some research I purchased a DataMaster data recorder from Family Software http://www.ifamilysoftware.com/datamasterX1.html . The idea of using this unit is , it's a stand alone unit , very accurate , cheaper than RacePak , and I can talk to the guy that designs & builds them ( sort of like Bob Bailey ) . I plan on setting it up to be all quick disconnect and possibly rented out to people purchasing converters from Dave Husek .

DSCN0611.JPG

The sensor looks very much like the one I use offered by FAST for XFI.

The collar is a little different. How many magnets in the collar?

The collar is a little different. How many magnets in the collar?
None , the prox switch senses the aluminum and triggers on a positive & negative transition , measures the pulse width and produces a frequency , that is how it has a very high sampling rate of over 3300 time per second . and an internal clock that can measure to .00001 of a second .

Last edited:
None , the prox senses the aluminum and triggers on a positive & negative transition , that is how it has a very high sampling rate of over 3300 time per second . and an internal clock that can measure to .00001 of a second .
Very nice. Pretty fancy.

You can calculate converter slippage with a powerlogger

You can calculate converter slippage with a powerlogger
No where near as accurately as with a driveshaft speed sensor . I discussed that with Dave a while back and he suggested driveshaft monitoring .

No where near as accurately as with a driveshaft speed sensor . I discussed that with Dave a while back and he suggested driveshaft monitoring .

By monitoring drive shaft speed you will also be able to tell how much tire spin you have on launch. This will help optimize suspension tuning as well as nailing down launch rpm, a/f timing and boost. Additionally it will aid in fine tuning for the entire run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there is no reason to get complicated if you have a vss that displays accurate vehicle speed , now if you're tring to run an intelligent xfi traction control then having a driveshaft or even ring gear trigger pickup will help that system

there is no reason to get complicated if you have a vss that displays accurate vehicle speed , now if you're tring to run an intelligent xfi traction control then having a driveshaft or even ring gear trigger pickup will help that system
To me this is not complicated , everyday I work with PLC's and just about every kind of proximity , laser , IR , visible beam sensors in the industry . I wanted super accurate motor & driveshaft RPM that the factory ECM can't compare with , and this unit is one of the best out there for this application at a decent price . I'm also going to set it up with quick disconnects so it can be used in other cars for other people . Dave and I discussed using the VSS and decided it wasn't good enough .

Hey Sam, I look forward to seeing the data. To accurately get data on a converter you need to have a driveshaft sensor and converter pressure monitored. This is the only way to determine what is happening. All methods I have seen posted for years here are primitive at best. Most worry about converter slip and do not know why they are worried about it.

Fellow PLC/ automation geek here. I read the Family Software website based on your post; that is a pretty cool piece of hardware with a super high sampling rate.
Keep us in the loop on setting it up.
Cool stuff.

Fellow PLC/ automation geek here. I read the Family Software website based on your post; that is a pretty cool piece of hardware with a super high sampling rate.
Keep us in the loop on setting it up.
Cool stuff.
I'm glad somebody read it , there is a lot of info on his site .
I have to slightly modify the pinion collar about .030" so it doesn't rub on the pinion seal , so nothing till Monday .

True about the accuracy on the PL . I as well worked in the automation industry both testing parts for aerospace and automated Riging . Drive shaft speed will allow abunch of cool stuff like traction control . Definitely interested in how your data turns out keep us posted

Seems a little over the top though. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm just saying.

There is so much information that can be accessed with sharper instruments. Why driveshaft speed in particular?

Generally speaking, isn't most of the common combinations already worked out? Can a converter be built to stall exactly where it is best? Within 50 RPM? I don't know, maybe it can.

Sometimes I like to go over the top on little research projects just to see the "what ifs" also. But as a consumer, it is usually unlikely I can afford the time or money to take my findings to the next level. Especially for a 10 second street car. The same kinda goes for some of the engine management systems like Motec, and all the sensory options they offer.

For Dave, yes. This is a tool that can be used to help develop the perfect different stall speeds for the commonly built performance combinations. But I wasn't aware that he was interested in building custom converters for every application.

Dave?

Dave and I talk a lot , and he is always trying new ideas and looking for better a designed converter for our cars . Do I need this kind of data ? Not at all , I'm very happy with my car and just want to maximize what I have , but the info I can supply Dave after testing different TC's will only help our Buick community .

Dave and I talk a lot , and he is always trying new ideas and looking for better a designed converter for our cars . Do I need this kind of data ? Not at all , I'm very happy with my car and just want to maximize what I have , but the info I can supply Dave after testing different TC's will only help our Buick community .
I'm glad you didn't read me wrong. I just know that sometimes I learn more than I can do with. Or have the time and money for. And I wasn't bashing the quest for data.

I figured this info would best be used by vendor for testing, or a professional sponsored or seriously dedicated competitive sportsman racer.

I figured this info would best be used by vendor for testing, or a professional sponsored or seriously dedicated competitive sportsman racer.

I agree , just trying to help Dave with new products . I also did testing for a performance snowmobile clutch company & oil company back when I had my dyno business , hence the name dynoman .

Why driveshaft speed in particular?
If guys where looking at this they would truly understand why when certain changes are Made the cars pickup or fall off not to mention really nailing the combo down on the surface they are racing on.

Do I need this kind of data ?
If you want to maximize your individual combo for road or track conditions.this is the great direction.understanding wheelspeed and looking at charge pressure is how the heavy hitters hit heavy;)