Driveshaft safety loop needed

TireFryer

The New Kid
I'm scared of timing. I'm running 22-23 psi boost in my car with 93/alky and only 14 degrees of timing. Maybe from the horror stories ive heard but i don't like it. Has anyone run higher boost and really low timing? Are there advantages to more timing and less boost or more boost and less timing? I'm just curious. At this point i'm probably going to stick to around 20/18 or 19/17. Any advise or thoughts?

Thanks

I'm basically out of turbo at this point so ill be doing a lot of tuning now. Get it to run perfect

I just tuned a 93 / single nozzle combo. 9.5:1 with an aggressive 214/214 cam & 6466 turbo.....
15.6-15.9 degrees advance. 21psi.

Nope not really.
On my own car I only run 18.0 degrees. E85 10.5:1 compression 4.25L 6766 turbo 25psi.
My 109 car with 8:1 on E85 I have it at 19.5 degrees at 24psi.

93 and alky 24 psi and 10.5 -10.8 AFR with 16 degrees of timing is a safe norm. 14 is even safer...pull too much and your exh climbs since your lighting mixture late and its burning late in event cycle. Timing is just that...timing spark to capture chemical burns peak pressure to get the most out of the combustion potential of the chemical of fuel your burning vs cyl pressure and octane

Are there advantages to more timing and less boost or more boost and less timing?
yes.i will give you a basic rundown powerwise and attempt to keep it simple.powerwise lets just say increasing timing is worth say 10hp per degree,boost 20/25hp per lb increase.so thats why guys prefer going after more boost.you can also run more boost and higher timing.it can get complicated but i will give you a few scenarios.1.take your combo with a stock turbo since the turbo is very power limited so as you get to the end of flow your turbo does not make the 20/25hp per lb and literally runs out of turbo.2.if you swap you turbo for another one that can give you more air into the motor as you increase boost your back at at the 20+hp per lb of boost increase.timing is when the fuel lites and will get the motor to rpm sooner which is an advantage if you have traction.you will also need timing to make power and depending on fuel used to make the car run better overall also.

At this point i'm probably going to stick to around 20/18 or 19/17. Any advise or thoughts?
now depending on how good the motor is,comp,cam,valve spring,etc.running very low timing depending on the type of fuel being burned can make the motor fall on its face,scenarios for this are low comp/low timing/on c16,now a motor with higher comp/on a fuel that lites easier like 93/alky you dont need as much timing to get the motor to climb up the rpm range.1st gear ratio can handle much more timing without knock and with traction can be a real gain in chopping down et.

I run 24 degrees in 1/2 and 18 degrees in 3rd (TH400 trans). Was at 25psi on 93/alky, currently 28psi on e85.

now depending on how good the motor is,comp,cam,valve spring,etc.running very low timing depending on the type of fuel being burned can make the motor fall on its face,scenarios for this are low comp/low timing/on c16,now a motor with higher comp/on a fuel that lites easier like 93/alky you dont need as much timing to get the motor to climb up the rpm range.1st gear ratio can handle much more timing without knock and with traction can be a real gain in chopping down et.
Exactly. If you're not tuning low gear...then you're leaving a shit load on the table. 3rd gear is easy. Pour the boost to it and give it enuf fuel so it won't hurt itself.

Exactly. If you're not tuning low gear...then you're leaving a shit load on the table. 3rd gear is easy. Pour the boost to it and give it enuf fuel so it won't hurt itself.
Its wot fuel,the faster cars move so much air quickly they are wot in an eye blink.the gear ratios affect the load changes which does affect the tune.

Tuning the 1/2 timing on fuel wot and timing can really wake it up for sure

It's right timing is very necessary.dont be fooled.you cant take every fuel and stick it at 14 degrees.
I took pics of the default timing settings on Erics chips from locals and saved pics from here from his chips so I'd know where to start out from for alky, e85 and the various octane levels. Eric knows his shit.

I took pics of the default timing settings on Erics chips from locals and saved pics from here from his chips so I'd know where to start out from for alky, e85 and the various octane levels. Eric knows his shit.
Def very smart!and has alot of products for the buick world

Its wot fuel,the faster cars move so much air quickly they are wot in an eye blink.the gear ratios affect the load changes which does affect the tune.
If you listen to my vids...you'll hear my car hit full boost almost instantly. I can't even imagine what a car like yours is like from an acceleration standpoint...other than my R1...and you could prolly out pull me in a roll race.