Driveshaft removal??

PaulRV6

Is there anything special about removing the driveshaft? I match marked the position to reinstall the same way. Do I have to remove dual exhaust pipes? It looks like it should clear it though. Thanks

paul

If swapping u-joints, mark the rear of the shaft in relation to the axle and the front of the shaft in relation to the yoke. To remove the shaft, unbolt the straps at the rear axle and just slide out of the trans. You may loose a little tranny fluid, but not much. When re-installing, use some blue loctite on the strap bolts and torque to 16 ft-lb.

Do you have a factory exhaust or aftermarket? With the factory exhaust you may be able just remove it normally by sliding it out below the rear end as one would normally do. I have the GN1 Performance 3in dual exhaust and removing the driveshaft isn't hard at all, but it is a little tight. I don't remove or loosen anything except the bolts on the rear end for the drive shaft. I just jack the rear of the car up as high as I can, because the driveshaft will not be able to be removed unless you unbolt it and slide it out to the rear of the car but "over" the rear end. Its takes a little dancing but, it has worked for me 3 times now. It beats all the extra work that I would have to do otherwise..at least for me it does ;-)

I am hoping to remove my drive shaft for detailing - sanding and paint. I am using a drive on hoist here at my home. When you say that you removed it 'over the rear end of the car', could you please elaborate? I am not clear. I presume the bolts on the rear end are the four bolts attaching it to the universal joint?

Thanks for any insight you can offer. I am learning as I go.

Darren

Over the axle is probable with jack stands under the frame and the axle hanging down. You won't have that with a drive on lift.

It'll slide right out, there's plenty of real estate down the middle of the car.

Just swapped out the driveshaft in my car. I have the GN1 dual 3" and I couldn't get it out the back. Had to drop the exhaust at the cat and slide it out the front. I had the car on
jackstands. I got close a few times though trying the back.

Do you really need to blue lock tite the strap bolts? I may need to do this to mine then lol

Do you really need to blue lock tite the strap bolts? I may need to do this to mine then lol

Check the bolts. If they're not loose, then no. I've not had them loosen. But! the loc-tite is cheap insurance the next time you have it apart.