Drivers side exhaust manifold getting red hot

Robert Dean

So I fired my car up for the first time since fall last year. Sounded a bit rough at first but as soon as oil pressure came up it sounded ok.
Sounded really good actually. Played with some settings like TPS and IAC and adjusted fuel pressure. Only change I made to it since last year was to put an angle boss for the IAC on the throttle body. I was satisfied with the settings after it was fully warmed up at idle. Then I just opened up the throttle and give it some revs.....maybe 2000 rpm for a minute or two, and the drivers side exhaust manifold started turning red hot. I was like "Holy shit, what the hell is happening!". I let it idle for a bit and it cooled off ( not red hot anymore). Still running fine, engine not overheating. Scan master numbers all look normal......I think. Took it for a short drive, seemed to run and drive just fine like it normally does. Got back and let it idle and check the numbers and the IAC was way out of wack....like up around 150. I don't know what the hell is going on. I shut the car off for a bit while I did some other things, came back to it. Fired it up again and was able to adjust IAC and TPS back where I wanted again. Tried giving it revs again and exhaust manifold got red hot again. I don't know whats happening and need to be pointed in the right direction here. Why are exhaust temps so high? Why did IAC go crazy like it did? I'm afraid to drive it for fear of catching fire. Need help. I'll post scanmaster numbers tomorrow.

I would pull the plugs and look to see if you have a lean condition on one particular cylinder or all on drivers side. This will give you an direction to move forward

Whats the condition of the fuel? If its more than 6 months old you might want to start with fresh. While that may not be the root of the problem old fuel can cause alot of issues. I just fired up my Camaro after setting about 6 months and it was not happy with the old fuel.

It seems like it would be a fueling issue causing this but the INT and BL numbers don't indicate things to be so far off to cause extreme exhaust heat like it is. I'm so confused. Could a sensor be wacky somewhere and causing the car to take fuel away, causing a lean condition......and also not be displayed by the scanmaster to indicate a problem somewhere?

Not running it hard, just some revs in the garage after working on it. I'm talking just a hint of red not glowing.

Mine were glowing while I broke my cam in. 2000 rpm with a 12.5:1 afr the whole time.
247AF733-61D0-475A-8E44-FBC0CFD5EDB2.jpeg

High exh gas volume, fuel system is not operating in PE = Idle or near idle afr.
Combine that with the cheesy stainless tubing, and that's what you get.
Not something to get your whities in a wad over.

High exh gas volume, fuel system is not operating in PE = Idle or near idle afr.
Combine that with the cheesy stainless tubing, and that's what you get.
Not something to get your whities in a wad over.
So would the manifold run hot like that when I'm actually driving the car or the afr would be rich enough to keep it from glowing? Just wondering if I need to carry a fire extinguisher in the passenger's seat at all times. Lol

I don’t know what is causing that but I’ve never seen a header glowing that way and yes I would def get a fire extinguisher.

I don’t know what is causing that but I’ve never seen a header glowing that way and yes I would def get a fire extinguisher.
Its normal.
Years ago my snow blower muffler was doing that on first start for the season, I chalked it up to gas went shitty from sitting over the summer.
Glowing headers is bad ass!

So would the manifold run hot like that when I'm actually driving the car or the afr would be rich enough to keep it from glowing? Just wondering if I need to carry a fire extinguisher in the passenger's seat at all times. Lol
Nope. Maybe on a long WFO run at hi boost they'll change colors.
As soon as you drop the boost and rpm, they'll go back to looking their nasty rusty color.

So I fired my car up for the first time since fall last year. Sounded a bit rough at first but as soon as oil pressure came up it sounded ok.
Sounded really good actually. Played with some settings like TPS and IAC and adjusted fuel pressure. Only change I made to it since last year was to put an angle boss for the IAC on the throttle body. I was satisfied with the settings after it was fully warmed up at idle. Then I just opened up the throttle and give it some revs.....maybe 2000 rpm for a minute or two, and the drivers side exhaust manifold started turning red hot. I was like "Holy shit, what the hell is happening!". I let it idle for a bit and it cooled off ( not red hot anymore). Still running fine, engine not overheating. Scan master numbers all look normal......I think. Took it for a short drive, seemed to run and drive just fine like it normally does. Got back and let it idle and check the numbers and the IAC was way out of wack....like up around 150. I don't know what the hell is going on. I shut the car off for a bit while I did some other things, came back to it. Fired it up again and was able to adjust IAC and TPS back where I wanted again. Tried giving it revs again and exhaust manifold got red hot again. I don't know whats happening and need to be pointed in the right direction here. Why are exhaust temps so high? Why did IAC go crazy like it did? I'm afraid to drive it for fear of catching fire. Need help. I'll post scanmaster numbers tomorrow.
Not sure what's going on but it's always good idea to get a fire extinguisher in the car u love. Mine is mounted on the rear carpet on the tranny hump. I've taken mine to the track and even after numerous passes I've never had it glow like that. I have aftermarket headers. Good to have peace of mind, nobody would want to see a sweet turbo 6 burn up.

You guys should look at Scooby you tube channel, he learn everything from the guy in the back ground , that's me, work on scooby car for over 15 years for free. he knows it all.

You guys should look at Scooby you tube channel, he learn everything from the guy in the back ground , that's me, work on scooby car for over 15 years for free. he knows it all.
Dan, you know you can always call me. I left a text and a call for a good paying Buick job last week for you and you didn't respond. I always gave you top billing on the boards as one of the best Buick wrenchers in the business and I always sent work your way. You ended the friendship, not me.

I don't work on Buick shit any more, Don't worry i got a hold of Joe , I work for 20 years on my own car to learn what i know, I did need someone to come along and film me, then set up your own Y/T channel and take the credit. If it wasn't for my son listing the your stuff on Facebook after it was all stolen, Truck car and trailer, you would be still looking for it. What about the $40 grand for the insurance company you got, I did see you helping him out. Good luck in life.