Driver Side Rear Ashtray Decal Template/Font?

t-topflyer

I want to make a replacement driver side rear ashtray decal as it looks simple and I can buy 3 packs of identical address labels 1" x 2&5/8" for what it costs to buy one from a vendor. I can't find the right font and wondered if anyone hear had a template or knew what size and type of font to use? Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

gn ashtray decal.jpeg

Try living on an island in the middle of the ocean, then you earn the right to bitch about shipping costs :rolleyes:.

t-top, PM me your address and I'll mail you this.
20170814_185603.jpg

Can't you ask them to just put the frigging things in an envelope and put a damned stamp on them?

I want to make a replacement driver side rear ashtray decal as it looks simple and I can buy 3 packs of identical address labels 1" x 2&5/8" for what it costs to buy one from a vendor. I can't find the right font and wondered if anyone hear had a template or knew what size and type of font to use? Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

View attachment 307782

Looks like - ITC Stone Sans
Neat website >> http://www.identifont.com/year?1987

The year 1987

In 1987 the font publisher JY&A Fonts was founded.

The most popular font released in 1987 was Pragmatica, designed by Vladimir Yefimov and Isai Slutsker.

Most popular fonts published in 1987

Pragmatica

Ignatius

ITC Stone Sans

Abadi

Galba

Abadi Condensed Light

ITC Slimbach

ITC Tiepolo

ITC Stone Serif

Laser

Show all fonts published in 1987

kirban 2 cents worth

I go to the post office every single day it wold be simply sent in the mail.....as someone stated above. a better option for us anyhow is buy something else off our website heck we can't control shipping costs....

but yes decals we mail....

time you spend trying to type it it will never look rite...

either way at $2 I am not going to get rich...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

FWIW, my GN has a dayglow yellow/green circle on the ashtray lid. I am the original owner and bought it in May 1987.

Attachments

• P7280887.JPG
    P7280887.JPG
    778.3 KB · Views: 82
I did this project a decade or more ago. At the time, Richard Clark sent me some ashtrays from his inventory for mock-ups and templates. The label size is custom - there is no correct Avery-like label you can buy off the shelf from an office supply store. The font was purchased as it is not included in any Microsoft Office product. Original labels were printed using a flexographic label printing process. While Mr. Clark does have flexographic printing equipment, it was cost prohibitive to invest in a roll of material to produce some 500,000 labels let alone making the flexible plate relief. The custom die to cut a single label to size was $300 at the time. So I made a few correct labels for myself, Mr. Clark, and a few others. Mr. Clark thought my reproduction was too good a quality as the result from a flexo press is done for speed, not accuracy.

The cushion room worked three shifts. Labels were either "DAYSHIFT" or "NIGHTSHIFT."

On the left is an original from Mr. Clark, on the right is my reproduction (aged yellow in direct sunlight for about 8 months)
ashtray label GN - orig & repro.JPG

Below is from GNX 180 - label is upside down, DAYSHIFT
ashtray - drivers seat GNX180.JPG

Another example: NIGHTSHIFT
ashtray - drivers seat.JPG

T-topflyer, because you are making an effort to do it right, I can send you one. Just specify DAYSHIFT or NIGHTSHIFT. PM me a mailing address.

Kirban 2 cents worth:

Going one step further I talked to Richard Clark few years ago saying when he can create 1986 and 1987 air we can can it and sell it so people can spray it into their cars...Corvette owners would be a huge market for that.

With my GTO background I did the date coded plug wires for every year 1963-1972 the even quarters 2 and 4 for every year exactly correct I was one of 2 companies that had written permission from Packard even expanded and did the plug wires for the GS Buicks same vintage and believe it or not the AMX cars also used Packard wires.

You got to remember our cars meaning 1986-1987 vintage which I am very familar with quality control was not followed to the letter.
Somewhere I even have an internal Buick letter explaining that customers that complain about terrible paint jobs it should be handled. meaning white specs in the paint or if you hold an orange next to the side of your GN both surfaces look the same.

Its great that people are bringing these cars back to original. Keeps us in business.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Unlike ebay I think we are many many years away from a GNX jacket bringing 5 grand.