Drag race front brakes on the sreet?

434nova

Who is using a drag race front brake kit like strange, aerospace , or Wilwood on the street?
Any issues with brake fade or warping in hard braking?. My car is a weekend cruiser not a daily driver or a car to go on long trips maybe a 60 mile trip to the track and a few miles in the city driving. I am running a Moser drag race rear disc setup on my fab 9 now with no issues was thinking about go with a drag race front setup. Curious to what you guys have experience with the fronts. Thanks

What do you consider "drag race" front brakes ? I have Wilwood 6 piston 12" disc brakes on the front of my car that are way better than stock .
DSCN0403.JPG

Dynoman I'm talking about a thin non vented rotor and 4 piston caliper. Dynoman did you save any weight from stock with the 12.19 rotor and 6 piston caliper?

It was lighter , by how much I'm not sure . You remove some of the stock spindle where the stock caliper mounts , plus the hub and caliper are aluminum so it could be at least 5 lbs per side .

I have the 4 piston 12.19" wilwood, and it was the best non speed part I have ever bought. The stock brakes were getting sketchy stopping 150mph at the track. The Wilwoods stop like it did at 125mph even after going manual brakes.

Who is using a drag race front brake kit like strange, aerospace , or Wilwood on the street?
Any issues with brake fade or warping in hard braking?. My car is a weekend cruiser not a daily driver or a car to go on long trips maybe a 60 mile trip to the track and a few miles in the city driving. I am running a Moser drag race rear disc setup on my fab 9 now with no issues was thinking about go with a drag race front setup. Curious to what you guys have experience with the fronts. Thanks
Stay away from the thin/ultralight stuff in the front.there is a reason why they have street and drag race versions.

I'm gonna go with the 12.19 rotor. Now my only decision is weather to go 4 or 6 piston caliper.

Not sure about wheel clearance with the 6 piston, but with the 4 piston, draglites wont fit. My billet specialties do, stock T wheels do.

Not sure about wheel clearance with the 6 piston

According to the Wilwood diagrams there is a bit more clearance with the 6 piston than the 4 piston .That is why I went with the 6 piston calipers on my 15" Center Line Telstars , tight fit but it worked . On the Wilwood site there is a template for each brake system , print it to check fitment .
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...e=Buick&model=Regal+Grand+National&option=All
scroll down to " wheel clearance " for the template . They have a template for each system . Sam

According to the Wilwood diagrams there is a bit more clearance with the 6 piston than the 4 piston .That is why I went with the 6 piston calipers on my 15" Center Line Telstars , tight fit but it worked . On the Wilwood site there is a template for each brake system , print it and glue it to poster board then cut it out to check fitment .
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...e=Buick&model=Regal+Grand+National&option=All
scroll down to " wheel clearance " for the template . They have a template for each system . Sam
I didnt realize that the 6 piston had more clearance. I assumed the opposite. Good info.

It wasn't much , but I needed every 1/10" I could get . I think it's because of the smaller diameter pistons . More of them spread out , that shortens the height of the 6 piston caliper and maintains or exceeds the piston area of the 4 piston caliper .

Last edited:
I'm running 3.5 billet specialties streetlites, I believe it 1 3/4 backspacing. I'm gonna get the 6 piston setup. My billet specialties don't clear the factory caliper. I have a 1/4 inch spacer on the front now. Forced 3.8's do run a spacer in the front to clear the 4 piston with the billet specialties? Also what is your wheel width and backspacing? Thanks

I have 3.5" Champion Billet 1.75" back space fronts on right now and had to use a 1/4" spacer to clear the front of the caliper .
I have the kit that I linked in the above post .
A little dirty , but you can see with the 1/4" spacer is all that was needed , don't forget longer studs or you will be taking it apart again just to screw in new studs !! I have pictures of the spindle mods you will need to do if you get the Wilwood kit . Sam
DSCN0554.JPG
DSCN0555.JPG

Yes, I needed a spacer because there is no "pad" on the back of the rim and itnputs the spokes close to the caliper.

I have the car on the lift right now so here are some more pictures of clearance .
DSCN0556.JPG
DSCN0560.JPG