Downpipe Strain on Turbo

crvogt

Hi all,

Just looking for some insight. I've installed a new downpipe and noticed on the stock dp the connection between the elbow and pipe is "cushioned" with springs. My question then is, has there been an instance where the single piece downpipe plus engine movement has resulted in damage to the turbo? Is there enough movement in the exhaust system such that damage is unlikely? (Noting that my own engine has new motor mounts so doesn't move much, but still curious).

Thanks!

The springs are there to put tension on the bolts so they don't back themselves out. They do not serve a structural purpose.
The downpipe should be supported from the bottom by the exhaust hanger at the back of the catalytic converter. As long as that's there, you're not putting a terrific load on the turbocharger with the downpipe.

The springs are there to put tension on the bolts so they don't back themselves out. They do not serve a structural purpose.
The downpipe should be supported from the bottom by the exhaust hanger at the back of the catalytic converter. As long as that's there, you're not putting a terrific load on the turbocharger with the downpipe.
Thanks! How does the bracket that holds the heat shield figure into this? Is it providing any real structure for the turbo (asking partly because mine doesn't line up well with my new turbo)?

Thanks! How does the bracket that holds the heat shield figure into this? Is it providing any real structure for the turbo (asking partly because mine doesn't line up well with my new turbo)?
I've run mine for many, many years (15yrs+) without the shield bracket nor heat shield with no negative effect. Disclaimer: Individual results may vary

The heat shield bracket is actually a hanger the holds the turbo's weight.

Many run without it for a long time without a problem, but the possibility exists that it could strain the passenger side manifold enough to crack it.

Hi all,

Just looking for some insight. I've installed a new downpipe and noticed on the stock dp the connection between the elbow and pipe is "cushioned" with springs. My question then is, has there been an instance where the single piece downpipe plus engine movement has resulted in damage to the turbo? Is there enough movement in the exhaust system such that damage is unlikely? (Noting that my own engine has new motor mounts so doesn't move much, but still curious).

Thanks!
Damage the turbo will not occur in these conditions