Downpipe Rattle

nickygn23

What's the easiest way to clearance your downpipe gentlemen? Never did it before. Heat and a mallet?

Attachments

• 20221010_083800.jpg
    20221010_083800.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 59
+1 on checking the motor mounts first.

What down pipe do you have? When installing my RJC 3" DP it took some adjusting. If the mounting hole to turbo holes are slotted that's an adjustment point. The turbo to passenger side header connection can also allow the turbo to rotate. It took me some time but between these two adjustment points mine clears and does not contact anything at WOT.

I have a RJC 3" Downpipe. I was hopeful I didn't have to do the motor mounts. Not a cheap job. I have seen so many clearance downpipes. Cheaper option. I'm starting to get up there in age. I don't want to do motor mounts myself. I'm going to going to check to see if there is any adjustment. . Anything at this point. I'm getting quotes of $450 for motor mounts.

what's the deal 450. my neighbor was quoted 750.00 on a 2004 chevy truck for all 3 and that have the transmission out.
I think it took me a hour on My GN rolling around on a garage floor I was 60 at the time.
I do all my work myself just seem like you have to have a fist full of Ben Franklins to get something done.
And its not just car stuff.

I replaced my OEM engine mounts with RJC mounts. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I had the car up on jack stands & used a floor jack plus a piece of wood under the oil pan. I'm not a spry 40 year old. Did the trans mount at the same time. There is a fairly detailed How-To somewhere on this forum.

What to do would depend upon where it's hitting? Up top at the A/C shield or down low at the control arm frame area?
Drivers side HR motor mount would lower the downpipe from the heater area, passenger side would raise it. Driver side is relatively easy for a 50-65 year old.
Slotting the mounting points as mentioned is probably the easiest if you can get it where it needs to be.
Cutting the bottom off the heater shield always worked for me as well.

Its definitely hitting the bottom By the frame. I tried to upload a video for it but it won't upload to here. strange.

I did some research. 5 venders all sell them and they are all the same price. $269 for Hardpartsnstuff motor mounts. I guess I could just put stock replacements but in ten years I'll just replacing them again.

Just ordered a set of HardpartsNstuff motor mounts. If for some ungodly reason that doesn't fix the problem I'll try clocking it the turbo. I'm sure the original mounts need changing anyway. Thanks for all the great advise gentlemen.

Just ordered a set of HardpartsNstuff motor mounts. If for some ungodly reason that doesn't fix the problem I'll try clocking it the turbo. I'm sure the original mounts need changing anyway. Thanks for all the great advise gentlemen.
You can tell if your mounts are shot by putting the hood up and watching the motor roll over when you throttle it.
You may just need the rjc brace or an old fashioned torque strap.

This is what I found on mine:

Disconnect the negative cable at the battery. Access to the nut on the backside of passenger mount is a bit tight with the starter. The rubber had turned to black splooge & covered the nut. I blindly forced the socket into the mess until it seated onto the nut. Took a while to clean the socket afterwards.

The front of the drivers side mount required some extensions, a swivel & some patience if I recall correctly. Neither side is overly difficult, nor are they straight forward. Much like everything else TB related....

Enjoy!

Very true. In the course of my life I have owned some cool muscle cars. Most were beaters but all cool and I loved them. This is my dream car that I love and hate equally. I just ordered a set of HardpartsNstuff motor mounts. We will see how this turns out.

Attachments

• 20200216_074222.jpg
    20200216_074222.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
The HR mounts are a bit taller. I have an approximately 3/8" spacer plus an RJC plate under the plenum. The hose clamp screw from the up-pipe to throttle body just made contact with my hood liner. I didn't notice right away & it wore away some material before I clocked the screw downward.

Something for you to check when you are done.

I did purchase something from RJC racing but I think it was to direct the air better. Went under plenum. It wasn't 3/8". Should be fine .Good advise though. Thanks JM

The HR mounts are a bit taller. I have an approximately 3/8" spacer plus an RJC plate under the plenum. The hose clamp screw from the up-pipe to throttle body just made contact with my hood liner. I didn't notice right away & it wore away some material before I clocked the screw downward.

Something for you to check when you are done.
Don Cruz has a fix for that , not cheep but you can relocate the vacuum ports also . I ordered one after the hoses blew off at Bowling Green .