Door rubber seal - Softening

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
We all know that the aftermarket door seals suck balls. The rubber appears to be too hard and doors close like shit. Hard to believe nobody can get something so seemingly simple right. (Rant over)

Did some searching for rubber seal softener and read everything from silicone spray, to WD40, to baby powder, to tire rubber softener.

One thing that stuck out was kerosene. It's a amazing cleaner, and cleans off tire rubber very well. Almost looks like it "dissolves" the rubber. So what if *new* door seals that cause a hard closing door (Due to shore durometer and design?) are wiped down a few times with a kerosene rag?

Anyone in the chemical industry want to provide insight?

We all know that the aftermarket door seals suck balls. The rubber appears to be too hard and doors close like shit. Hard to believe nobody can get somethingso simple right. (Rant over)

Did some searching for rubber seal softener and read everything from silicone spray, to WD40, to baby powder, to tire rubber softener.

One thing that stuck out was kerosene. It's a amazing cleaner, and cleans off tire rubber very well. So what if *new* door seals that cause a hard closing door (Due to shore durometer and design?) are wiped down a few times with a kerosene rag?

Anyone in the chemical industry want to provide insight?
If they are brand new they will wear in, give it 6 months and re group. Anything like wd40, kerosene, etc will stink up the car and could breakdown the rubber

from my research... i actually found out that armorall is a horrible product..bc its petroluem based ..at least the original formulation ... and actually can harm platics and rubber with extended use .. causing to rubber to actually turn brown...
i did find that 303 protectant is a far superoir product ..for rejuvenation and protection..
i did also read about a product napa carries called sil glyde... for plastic rejuvenation..but did not care for it ...its almost like di electric grease..

Last edited:
The sil glyde worked pretty good on hard rubber though like this .... messaging in for a couple of weeks ... I think its actually made as a brake grease...and great for the stubborn pcv grommet/seal ...

IMG_0461 2.jpg

The rubber durometer used by door seal manufacturers sucks. I came across a product from Germany called Gummi Pflege Stift a few years ago and I feel like it made a difference on my door seals. I applied it over and over to saturate the seals. It comes in a small bottle with a sponge applicator.

Good thread. Great discussion.

I wonder if anyone's ever tried taking a heat gun to their seals, then closing the door. You may want to put some car wax or silicone on the other side, so as to not stick. Do a section of a foot or two at a time. Someone who has new, crappy seals please do this and report back. You should know right away.

Whenever I get new snow board boots, the trick is to pop the rubber liners in the oven for a while, then lace them up tight and walk around in them.
Same principal.

how bout trying a steam gun jerryl...when your done prepping your suits...for your meetings with the UN.. you can mosey out to the car and give her a little steam treatment and leave the doors closed for two weeks in that hot ass trailer ... ;)

how bout trying a steam gun jerryl...when your done prepping your suits...for your meetings with the UN.. you can mosey out to the car and give her a little steam treatment and leave the doors closed for two weeks in that hot ass trailer ... ;)
Let's not start any rumors: I don't have a steam gun.

I remember replacing both doors rubber seal on my GN in the summer of SC which was very hot.
At first both doors would not close as the rubber was so stiff, I didn't want to slam the door and take a chance of breaking the window.
I spray both doors with silicone and slam it shut in the garage for about week or so, and afterward the door closes and seals like new.

Interesting. Care to share which seals and year you did this?!

Give them a couple weeks to seat/ form to the door jamb, and spray some sillycone spray on all contact areas ..They'll be fine... Mike

Interesting. Care to share which seals and year you did this?!
Sorry I try to located of who I purchased the door seal in EBay, but that was back in the beginning of 2017, and I did sprayed a lot of silicone on and around the door rubber seal, close the door and leave along for a week or so.