door guards

jlat

hello people: I think that's what you call them. But in my case it's a stuck on strip of rubber running down the length of the body protecting from door dings. I don't think it's stock but how many of youz have them and I need new ones as some areas are losing there grip.
IBBY

They were an option. My car doesn't have them but some of the cars I looked at had them from the factory. I think they were called "side body molding" or something like that. I think of door guards as the vertical edge protector at the back of the door. My car has lots of parking lot dents. Some of them are above where the molding would be. I have one doozy. I'd like to find the person who did that one and box their ears.

B88 is factory body side moldings RPO code.
B91 for the vertical door edge guards both options, as mentionedd.
3M makes a good molding tape that will hold them back on, need to remove them and clean them off (glue) and straighten them in 80-100 degree weather so they go on back easily and pliably.
Both my cars have them and of course used them a lot... :rolleyes:

B88 is factory body side moldings RPO code.
B91 for the vertical door edge guards both options, as mentionedd.
3M makes a good molding tape that will hold them back on, need to remove them and clean them off (glue) and straighten them in 80-100 degree weather so they go on back easily and pliably.
Both my cars have them and of course used them a lot... :rolleyes:
bastards

Kirban Performance sells the all black Trim-Gard - $80 for both sides. Whether its exact OEM ????? If not exact it's probably close.

If you need chrome/colored (center) strip, Trim-Gard has some 5/8" color you may be able to find - maybe eBay or search other retailers. I used their silver/chrome on a D84 repaint years ago & it looked great.

hello people: anyone experiment with the side molding 2 way tape? I need to get some but it would have to hold up to sun and weather. I'll bet 3M has something. thanks
IBBY

Yup I've used it - I had very good results on emblems & side moulding. Trimming was not EASY it's been a while since I used it. All the cars I used it on are gone. My one remaining GN has air brush art instead of emblems etc., so I can't update on durability today but it gave me a coupel years while I still had the TR's. 👍

Yup I've used it - I had very good results on emblems & side moulding. Trimming was not EASY it's been a while since I used it. All the cars I used it on are gone. My one remaining GN has air brush art instead of emblems etc., so I can't update on durability today but it gave me a coupel years while I still had the TR's. 👍
hello people: Do U have a p/n as there's all kinds of 2 way rape. thanks
IBBY

hello people: Do U have a p/n as there's all kinds of 2 way rape. thanks
IBBY
C'mon IBBY,

Do a search!!!!! Make a choice.

OK I got that off my chest.

I always used 3M. They have 1/4", 1/2", & 7/8" wide as I recall. Maybe others too? Maybe Amazon? Your local DYI box? Or the local Farm & Barn if you got one. I like local if I can.

Don't forget to clean up the old parts 1st. ;)
Dwall

hello people: Searching on my own always gives U too many choices and it's the thickness I worry about. Thanks but to find out what others have used is the way to go.
IBBY

My 86 came with them. As stated Code B88 "Protective Body Side Molding" ($60). I did a wo year frame off restoration of mine. Deleted three options. Since engine was way worked I had already lost originality and so I made it my own. I did not repeat the "gravel protection paint along the lower side body panels but opted to make it all smooth. I removed the electric antenna which worked like crap within months of replacement and put in a "antenna in the windshield replacement window and lastly I did not replace the side molding after the paint job. Otherwise it's original. Here is a pdf of the window sticker and a picture of the finished car.

Attachments

• window sticker scan.pdf
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 43
  • finished1.JPG
    finished1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
3 M with the red backing plastic. Got mine at NAPA but they had a small body repair area out front where I found it.
This is one size as mentioned there are 3 available.
hello people: I went to NAPA and got some.p
3 M with the red backing plastic. Got mine at NAPA but they had a small body repair area out front where I found it.
This is one size as mentioned there are 3 available.
hello people: I got some at NAPA and 1/2" wide is the perfect size for that option. I'll say what ever the tape that was on there is is sometning. U need a knife to get it off the guard. Also I'm so out of it with some things as there are windshield wipers that go for closr to $50.00 a pop, wow
IBBY