Don't hurt me for asking, but...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that the "Up Pipe" usually refers to the pipe from Intercooler discharge to the Throttle Body intake.

Here is another angle. Some chips/ECU bias off of Speed Density & eliminate the MAF.

OP. Do you have a Scanmaster? You can monitor: ATS - Air Intake Temp, AF - MAF Airflow in grams/sec.

Maf pipe with the AC on the end in the hot engine bay WORKED the best. Matter of fact we just tried it in Melissa's car. Nice smooth bends out to the frot grill. NO GAIN an this is a 9.1 car.
same result here

I just want to squeak out the greatest potential with the littlest modifications. (Like Richard Clark said "3% here, 3% there, adds up").
same your time and money,leave the maf where it is and the run the filter safetly inside the engine bay.power is in the tuneup and octane being used.if your seeking minor mods and a really fast car you will have to run the car very hard ask yourself are you ready for that?a cold air kit on a car that makes 15psi of boost is a waste,thats where im coming from.i have seen guys run aluminum heads on a 49 car at 15 psi and wonder why they get beat by a stock headed car running 23psi.;)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that the "Up Pipe" usually refers to the pipe from Intercooler discharge to the Throttle Body intake.

Here is another angle. Some chips/ECU bias off of Speed Density & eliminate the MAF.

OP. Do you have a Scanmaster? You can monitor: ATS - Air Intake Temp, AF - MAF Airflow in grams/sec.
that's what I I thought the up pipe is called from intercooler to throttle body , that's why I said ive never seen a maf in this piece :unsure:

You would have to be moving a shit ton of air to need more than a 3 inch aluminum intake. The MAF will be a different story because of the screens and internals.
exactly!you can also make 9 sec passes on a stock maf with 1 screen removed.

same your time and money,leave the maf where it is and the run the filter safetly inside the engine bay.power is in the tuneup and octane being used.if your seeking minor mods and a really fast car you will have to run the car very hard ask yourself are you ready for that?a cold air kit on a car that makes 15psi of boost is a waste,thats where im coming from.i have seen guys run aluminum heads on a 49 car at 15 psi and wonder why they get beat by a stock headed car running 23psi.;)
Totally agree with this, if you're running a lot of horse power and go to the track and every 1/10th counts ok but its hardly worth the effort and cash on a nice street car. Better places to spend your hard earned cash.

that's what I I thought the up pipe is called from intercooler to throttle body , that's why I said ive never seen a maf in this piece :unsure:
Sorry, I should have been more specific and said MAF sensor "attached" to the up pipe, not in it. Unless I understood you wrong? I understand the up pipe goes from the intercooler to the throttle body.

Ok, so what I've been learning, cold is better, but not at the expense of added tubing and bends, better off by bigger intercooler, or liquid cooled, or the other ways in the link Jerryl provided. Reducing the drive pressure, and if I understand that right, is to get the turbo as close to an ideal ratio of 1 to 1, every turn for exhaust equals a turn off intake air? so a more free flowing exhaust like I plan on getting should help, ease the exhaust side of the turbo.

Nigel the picture of the pipe flow chart I don't understand, but I understood most of what you wrote under it except for, "If there was no friction between the air and the pipe as long as the velocity remained roughly 40% of sonic". What does the "as long as the velocity remained roughly 40% if sonic" mean? I know Sonic velocity is the speed of sound, but I don't understand what that had to do with it? Also when you talk about not needing more then a 3" intake unless you're moving a shit ton of air. So a 3" pipe would be fine, since especially what I forgot about, even though an LS1 MAF sensor is 3.5" in diameter, its flow is still not equal to a 3" pipe, somewhere about 80% of it? I see some of the other guys are talking about their 4" pipe with the ls7 sensor, at what point do you know your moving a shit ton? I mean, I know you are correct, I'm far from anything they got going on, I'm just curious when a guy would know? Would it hurt if I was able to add a setup like Rodruckus had pictured?

Speaking of which, Rodruckus i think this is similar to what you were showing and describing, although there were several other versions on this site as well

JM, I do not, I am planning on getting the Scanmaster G along with the ALDLDROID app within a few weeks. I mistakenly thought I had not modified my car enough to get it.

My. Spool, you wrote "exactly!you can also make 9 sec passes on a stock maf with 1 screen removed." Just curious, but given that same vehicle, if it had a larger intake would it be running faster?

-Rob

While 9 sec power can be had on a stock MAF, the combo will need to build around it. Take the average 9 second build, and put a stock MAF on it, and it probably slows down. It comes down to the goal. Don't be fooled.

Last edited:
My. Spool, you wrote "exactly!you can also make 9 sec passes on a stock maf with 1 screen removed." Just curious, but given that same vehicle, if it had a larger intake would it be running faster?

-Rob

I doubt it. Depends on the combination. Here is hers in 2007. Dammm 12 years ago :eek:
Best thing is to keep it simple an stupid (KISS). Otherwise it's goin to grow and GROW.

I doubt it. Depends on the combination. Here is hers in 2007. Dammm 12 years ago :eek:
Best thing is to keep it simple an stupid (KISS). Otherwise it's goin to grow and GROW.

I remember the uproar when you posted that.

Ok, so 3" MAF intake pipes are fine, a more free flowing MAF sensor added in helps.
So, now, I'm not trying to start a giant debate over this or anything of the sort, I'm just curious, I like to know why.
If the smaller 3" intake pipe has more then sufficient flow, why do some of you go bigger?
I had just searched through and found several threads on here, on how there is a bad turbulence in the 4" pipes, which screws up idle and low throttle. Which is just confusing to hell for me, and why I'm asking so many why's. It seems flow is fine, and less issues with stock size pipe on under 10 second cars. So what made you who have gone to 4", go there?
This,
This,
And this,

Also I read about turbulence from the fans causing issues as well, but as long as the AC is placed off to the side where the charcoal canister is, it shouldn't be an issue.

But, is there an issue with turbulence where you mount your MAF sensor in the intake tube, whether it's closer to the ac, mounted mid tube, with it without the screens. I know the purpose of the screens is to straighten airflow.

Ok, so 3" MAF intake pipes are fine, a more free flowing MAF sensor added in helps.
So, now, I'm not trying to start a giant debate over this or anything of the sort, I'm just curious, I like to know why.
If the smaller 3" intake pipe has more then sufficient flow, why do some of you go bigger?
I had just searched through and found several threads on here, on how there is a bad turbulence in the 4" pipes, which screws up idle and low throttle. Which is just confusing to hell for me, and why I'm asking so many why's. It seems flow is fine, and less issues with stock size pipe on under 10 second cars. So what made you who have gone to 4", go there?
This,
This,
And this,

Also I read about turbulence from the fans causing issues as well, but as long as the AC is placed off to the side where the charcoal canister is, it shouldn't be an issue.

But, is there an issue with turbulence where you mount your MAF sensor in the intake tube, whether it's closer to the ac, mounted mid tube, with it without the screens. I know the purpose of the screens is to straighten airflow.
Kudos for researching.
The 4" pipe and blade MAF worked fine for me. Zero issues idle to WOT.

Some go bigger than 3" because they are forced to (4" compressor inlet) or like the look.

Some go bigger than 3" because they are forced to (4" compressor inlet) or like the look.

WE have the 4" now and it runs fine. Seems like turbo's are changing every year now.

Kudos for researching.

Thank you
Ok, i was not even thinking about the turbo inlet size, makes sense now. Thank you Jerryl.

What about turbulence in the MAF sensor if it is mounted directly behind the air filter? Has anyone had issues with that, or from when the fan turns on?