Doing some intake work...

mike85gn

Get Bent!
Hey all, I bought a used Hot Air intake from Bob at BM Computer Source, he's done some porting on it and looks like massaged the inside of the runners a bit, I was wondering what all can be done to one of these? I heard people are cutting them open and cutting out extra metal and removing EGR and such. What's the scoop on all the mods? Anyone have pics/instructions? TIA!

So you blocked off EGR? Is there any consequences to that? And how did you gut the inside out?

Boost231

Hey Boost231, what turbo is that? How did you get the exhaust housing polished? Or is that paint? Either way, the finish looks incredibly smoothe, especially on the inlet pipe mount. HOW??? I hate the way mine looks, all rusty and suck. I would love to chrome plate everything under the hood of my 84, but it seems like there is only so little I can do. Your turbo and intake look amazing!

John

hey

thanx man. well first i sent the exhaust side of my turbo to the jet hot coaters. and the intake and the compressor side of the turbo where takin to a power coater and powered coated. ive spent alot of time and money in trying to make the engine look nice the only thing left is to get the valve covers taken care of and get my up-pipe hot coated. o the turbo is a Ta-54 and i sent the orignal adapter piece with the new compressor housing to john craig at limited engerning and he cut and welded them toghter. he did great work. and thats it let me know if you have any more questions.

brent:D

So based on the last 611 discussions regarding intakes, it seems to be a good bet to:

1) Open the ports up to a gasket match and clean up the inside of the runners as far as possible.

2) Modify the EGR thingy in the tubo inlet to remove the restriction, preferrable by grinding it rigth away.

These seem to be the most common. But how are people turning them into open manifolds? That would seem to be the best way to flow more is to just hollow the whole thing out. How are people doing this? I've heard of some people cutting the bottom out and hogging out the whole damn thing and just welding a plate back in place. What's the real scoop for the best flow from a stock intake?

Gutted Intake

I bought three of them to play with. This is what I have found.
After cutting the underside open 5x6 approx. There was a divider running the full length of the core.I milled that completely out.
This produced a fully open chamber. I have not cut off the EGR hump I do not see the need to do that now. as the total air flow into the open chamber is equal. After seeing the insides I would have been concerned with un-equal air flow because of imperfect
split of air going into seperate chambers. IE if hump was not centered would equal more air to one side than the other, one side rich, one side lean. I will try to add some pic if I can figger out how to post them
Mart Urbanski

hey

i got it from some sick individual who decided to hack the hell out of it. then i had to get it coated and clean up the welds so you coldnt tell someone killed it.

brent:D