Does any one know, can you powder coat a downpipe?

gatordad

I am buying a new 3in downpipe from RJC racing, can you powder coat it and it not turn color or flake? thx

Ceramic coating is your best bet.
It will also help reduce under the hood temps.
Thx, and being a newbie, can I ask you a newbie question, how do you make the stats about your car appear at the bottom of your post?

Click on you avatar at the top of banner. Click on “signature “ and type out your mods..

A tip on ceramic coated parts. Make 100% sure the part fits & you know exactly what it takes to install the part prior to coating. The coating is somewhat "soft" & is easily damaged during installation. Just a slight scratch can cause it to later flake & peel away. Wrapping the part with some plastic or thin packing foam that can be torn away & removed after install is wise. Experience talking. :oops:

Jet hot coatings. They are located in NC. Will never flake off or turn colors. And lifetime warranty. I have had mine on for about 8 years...still looks like the day I had it done.

I know you may be excited to go ahead and put it on the car, but trust me. Go ahead and do it now....its worth it.

Jet hot coatings. They are located in NC. Will never flake off or turn colors. And lifetime warranty. I have had mine on for about 8 years...still looks like the day I had it done.

I know you may be excited to go ahead and put it on the car, but trust me. Go ahead and do it now....its worth it.

Any photos??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ceramic coated (Cerakote) my downpipe and turbo hot side housing locally about 3 years ago and has held up well. It is a flat black color, nothing exciting.

What is exciting is that it cut down the under hood temps in that area quite a bit.

2 things we do w/ all ceramic coated exh parts:
1. Wipe w/ clean cloth and alcohol, to remove grease from finger peints.
2. At first startup, have a fan directly onto the parts. You may use the engine fan, by jumping the relay. I put a hi flow fan at the ft bumper, low down.

You don't powder coat it. Ceramic coat it. I used Swain Tech for my DP and it cut down on heat a lot. It is really race looking and is not the prettiest coating if that matters. But when I was researching it was one of, if not the, best there is.

And I would put an O2 bung on it before you coat it cause you can't after you do. A mistake I made.

2 things we do w/ all ceramic coated exh parts:
1. Wipe w/ clean cloth and alcohol, to remove grease from finger peints.
2. At first startup, have a fan directly onto the parts. You may use the engine fan, by jumping the relay. I put a hi flow fan at the ft bumper, low down.

*****What he said. Especially #1. Removing the grease keeps the part(s) looking pretty after initial heating, and helps prevent flaking, etc.. Ceramic coating really helps reduce underhood temps. It's noticeable. Totally worth it IME.

I had some V-8 headers ceramic coated. They were done well. If I had been more careful, the one spot that is damaged wouldn't have been a problem. Test fit before & be careful afterwards. Check with the coating company & see if they recommend a heat cycling type of break-in procedure.

Agreed , on Swain Tech coatings . It is by far the thickest coating out there @ .015" thick and only comes in white but it can be painted . I did mine in a light grey. It is very durable. To remove it you would have to grind it off .
Check out their website @
www.swaintech.com
Look for race coatings.

Last edited:
Any photos??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's
downpipe.jpg
the best picture I have of it. Looks exactly like it did 8 years ago.

Get an O2 sensor bung welded in before you have it coated.