Do those "Pink" Converters Rattle?

From what i read it was their multi-disc converters that rattled. I had a single disc Precision vig. converter and it didn't make any noise.

You guys think I should "SC" this converter and get another one - from someone else - or should I throw money at this one?

If the former - what are my choices???

Many Thanks !!!

No link... Dusty Bradford on this board is the guy to see. bradfodk@bp.com Or call him at 1-256-303-5387

Is this his site here:

http://www.ptcrace.com/index.php?osCsid=c7326c4437e739e624226e9f7a403b26

What converter do most of the guys run here?

Do they offer a Lock-Up Configuration like the Precision Industries Converters do?

I presently have a 9.5" "Vigalante" Single Disk (Lock-Up) referred to as a '6' Pump Stall Configuration, which stalls at ~ 3,200 RPM.

Many Thanks !!!

They do rattle, the clutches also stick when cold (when putting in reverse it will cut car off). They also come apart. Just sent one to Dusty and it was so bad he couldnt even use it as a core. Went with PTC NLU and have no regrets. Car went 6.50 at 107 yesterday so i know thr converter is working great... Dusty specd it for me.

Is this his site here:

What converter do most of the guys run here?

Do they offer a Lock-Up Configuration like the Precision Industries Converters do?

I presently have a 9.5" "Vigalante" Single Disk (Lock-Up) referred to as a '6' Pump Stall Configuration, which stalls at ~ 3,200 RPM.

Many Thanks !!!

Only deal with dusty. He knows the Turbo buicks and combos. They do offer single disk lock up units also.

I can get you a single disc lock-up or a 9.5 non lock depending on your et goals. Typically 10's and faster I recommend a 9.5 non lock.

I can get you a single disc lock-up or a 9.5 non lock depending on your et goals. Typically 10's and faster I recommend a 9.5 non lock.

Dusty - Thanks for offering your assistance here.

Is this your site here:

I received a VM from Tim - does he work with you?

He said he could go through the pink converter I have for ~ 250 dollars less than he sells the 10" LU Converter for.

Thoughts - please...

Many Thanks !!!

Yes that's the site but I don't work for them. I'm there about 1 day a week.

We can go through your precision for less $$$ than a new converter. Since yours is a single disc, it could just be the clutch is wore and causing a rattle.

Tim is a salesman there. Usually to go through a converter is about $250.

yes single disk = quiet but wont take much power when locked, multi disk= noisy but can take more power locked up if it locks sometmes theres a big learning curve to get it to lock reliably 100% of the time. A good non lock up converter is reliable and wont give you any trouble.

My single disk is not quiet - but it certainly used to be.

I have also heard that when modifying the front pump for a non-lock up application that there is "generally" more heat being generated in a non-lock up application vs. a lock-up application.

I will certainly say that I can certainly "feel" how the converter I have now is "slipping" - so when you guys say 22% slippage - I can feel it driving on the street. It did not used to be like this when it was "new".

The reason why I went with a lock-up converter (I used to have a non-lock up converter that I bought from Lonnie many-many years ago) was because I wanted that extra 500 RPM while cruising in the Interstate. I am not locking the trans up at WOT and really do not intend to. I managed to break my FCD with my 1.602 sixty foot at the track even without thinking about locking up the converter.

I wish to ask Dusty - and maybe it is better to call - is it possible to get all of the benefits that our Moderator so clearly defines here:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...rter-vs-non-lu-converter.387839/#post-3126484

with the additional advantage of gaining that extra 500 RPM while cruzing down the Interstate enjoying that "almost" 5th gear (almost seems like having a 5-speed transmission with the check-ball removed from the input shaft) :)

Dusty - can you PM me your number and a good time to call, and WTF should I do with this "pink" converter I spent almost 800 dollars on years ago? The manufacturer wants like 270 dollars for a stall change and almost another hundred to put a new clutch in it.

Many Thanks Guys !!!

Ed

I have a 9.5" lockup single disc Vigilante (3200 stall) and I haven't noticed any rattling or noise as of yet (mid 11 sec last time out). We'll see what happens when I get my engine back in.

I have had the single one and no noise. My buddy has the multi and it sounds like crap. I now have a dust non lock up. Best choice I ever made