Do I need to upgrade my turbotweak chip

GNbythebay

I bought a turbotweak chip back when I upgraded the fuel system ( I got the 42lbs and chip combo and selected the street option). Since than I added alky control and a 3" dp to a exhaust dump. Do I need to return my chip for a re-tune because of the upgrades I did or will what I have be fine.

If you added alky since getting the chip, I am certain you need your chip adjusted.

If you added alky since getting the chip, I am certain you need your chip adjusted.
I just checked to see how much a re tune would be and it will cost $85 Is it worth the money? I mean if it will hurt my car not having it tuned for alky than of course I will get it but will I feel any increase in power for the $85?

I just checked to see how much a re tune would be and it will cost $85 Is it worth the money? I mean if it will hurt my car not having it tuned for alky than of course I will get it but will I feel any increase in power for the $85?
I sure wish someone else would chime in here. I am a novice, but I have learned that when you change anything that affects your air or your fuel, odds are your chip won't be right. That is exactly why Eric at TurboTweak asks you those questions about your set up. Unless you have an SD2 chip, you can only adjust some setings that affect ONLY Wide Open Throttle. So if your idle or normal driving fueling is off, your car will drive badly. If the chip you have is a TurboTweak, please email Eric, and be patient. He will answer you when he can. And please don't risk hurting your motor over an $85 chip upgrade. Respectfully, Kyle

going from straight pump gas to an pump/alky combo definitely requires a change in the tune. Eric will set you up its well worth the $85. The alky burns slightly as a fuel and since it's usually coming in at 6-7 psi boost then if you don't change the tune to remove fueling to attain your target a/f then you're drowning the motor and you'll run rich forever and never know why. Alky injection also changes your a/f targets after it comes in at the 6-7 psi I mentioned earlier, since it has different stoichiometric value than gasoline (14.7:1 for gas, 6.45:1 for methanol). Not too sure if the timing will change all across the board, but I know for sure you can run addition timing in high boost with alky injection than without it due to its capabilities to reduce the chance of knock with its cooling capabilities that increase the oxygen levels in the air in the intake. which all translates to "raising the octane" in the total fuel that enters the combustion chamber.

in conclusion, adding an alky kit without having the proper chip for it will have a negative effect on performance. your best bet would be to get the 6.1 chip if you don't already have it, and the proper scan tools to monitor your engine. like a power logger and scanmaster. here's a link to the 6.1: http://www.turbotweakstore.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=1026

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric uses a different fuel/timing curve for his alky chip...so you'll need his alky chip.

Alky chips have less fuel and a tad more timing but that does not mean the current chip won't work. If you can trim wot fuel you can get it pretty close.

Let me start by saying I don't mean any disrespect to the OP.....If he is asking that question this means he is a novice and should not be attempting to tune his way around having the wrong chip....Bottom line you need an Alky chip or you are going to be spending more than 85 bucks!!

Let me start by saying I don't mean any disrespect to the OP.....If he is asking that question this means he is a novice and should not be attempting to tune his way around having the wrong chip....Bottom line you need an Alky chip or you are going to be spending more than 85 bucks!!

Confirmed. You can't get that 5.7 reburnt for alky. You will have to buy a new chip. And it is more than $85

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Street Chip: for use with pump gas (91-94 octane), and (will also work with alcohol injection,) but not as aggressive as an alcohol chip. 16-18psi boost in most cases (a little lower with 91oct), WOT fuel will be set up for that boost level, around 18 degrees WOT timing. For the 84/85 hotair cars, typical boost is around 11-14psi. Cars with the 84/85 ECM will NOT have the features of the 86/87 chip.
from TURBOTWEAK web sight ,
I ran my 5.7 street chip after installing Alky tell i made more mods I think I would just go to TT web sight and ask the master Eric

I was checking to see if you ever got a new chip or.....? I am kinda in the same dilemma BUT Eric told me that I can run this chip WITH meth injection although I REALLY got the system to allow the boost to be increased a fair amount(say to 24-25psi)

clear1x1.gif

Custom computer chip v5.7 made for your Turbo Buick or Pontiac TTA. This chip has user adjustable features that allow you to do fine tuning of WOT fuel and timing if you wish (need a scantool). Choose either a street chip (pump gas), race chip (race gas), or a chip for alcohol injection. Note the '84/'85 cars with stock ECM do not have the same features.

Street Chip: for use with pump gas (91-94 octane),and will also work with alcohol injection, but not as aggressive as an alcohol chip. 16-18psi boost in most cases (a little lower with 91oct), WOT fuel will be set up for that boost level, around 18 degrees WOT timing. For the 84/85 hotair cars, typical boost is around 11-14psi. Cars with the 84/85 ECM will NOT have the features of the 86/87 chip.

Alcohol Chip: for use with pump gas when alcohol injection is being used, timing is increased to around 21-23 degrees, boost is increased to the 20-25psi range, along with some other small tweaks to work better with the alcohol. Alcohol injection MUST be used with this chip. The calibration is made for 100% alcohol, no water mixes. Excess knock will occur if the alcohol is turned off and you go to full boost.
Again from TT web page
The ALKY chip was a must for me after i made more mods, But I ran the street 5.7 chip at 25 lb boost and ALKY tell I changed heads and cam, .ALKY and boost was all I changed from the first burn.
Im a novice tuner and I got away with it.$85.00 is good money to spend on a TT chip.
You have talked to Eric and he said OK ,he told me the same thing I believed him and it worked for me.