Do I have a problem?

Hot Carl

Or is it my car? or a combination of the two:)

I have a 87 GN. 2nd owner with approx 75k on the clock. Sibling rivalry has led me to a handful of trips to the strip in hopes of not getting left in the dust by my brother. I have spent the last couple years "restoring" the car to run as best as she can. A few basic parts here and there plus reaching out with local TR owners to get any tips that I can led me to a personal best of 13.3@100 with a 1.96 60'

Stock unopened motor
Stock turbo/IC
Stock trans/converter
3" intake with K&N
Translator
3" down pipe to dump
tt chip 95 octane
60lb injectors
17-18lbs of boost
gauges+logger
340 hotwired pump,fpr, 6an return around 47# static, getting +18psi rise
255 mickey drag radials, no spin

No error codes
18psi
no knock
rpm 4748 at the trap 3rd gear
o2 sensor volt .80 in first and tapering down to .764 in 3rd WOT
11.5 wideband throughout
coolant temp 168 all day
voltage 13.7 across the board
IAT 100
TPS 4.50 no floor mat

My usual routine is a light 2-3 second burn out, ease off throttle and let the tires catch, and roll up to the lights, pump the brake, ease into throttle until boost is 3-5psi, lift off brake and floor it. I had had consistent 60' from the get go all around 1.90-1.95. 80 degree ambient.

My question is with the above upgrades and driving, shouldn't this car be cracking into the 12's? I know that there are dozens of factors that come into play, but after speaking with owners and looking on this board I feel like I should be trapping a bit higher.

This summer I have big (for me) plans for the car mainly e85, turbo, trans, and converter. In a perfect world I would like to iron out all of the details before dumping my hard earned cash. At this time I am thinking about checking the compression, inspecting valve train, and maybe bumping up the TPS. Maybe trying to leave at 6-8psi?

What do you guys think?

Many thanks

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Mph could be more. Might look into the spring cleaning stuff like fuel filter and O2 sensor. Make sure your vac lines are all good and the headers aren't cracked. Make sure the fuel pressure is rising with the boost. 18psi isn't much on a stock setup but you need good fuel to keep it from knocking.

JDSfastGN

Based on the numbers you posted it looks like the tune is solid. Was there any knock retard? My work computer won't open powerlogger right anymore so i cant view it. Other than a 93 chip, slightly better intake and the downpipe most of what you have is for reliability and not adding big power. Its possible the valve springs are weaker and hindering the mph a bit but 13.3 and 100 mph are chopping about a second off the ET and adding 4-5 mph over a typical stock car. Not bad for minimal mods. What was the weather like when you ran and what altitude is the track? You could lock the converter in 3rd and probably pick up a couple mph and drop to a 12.9-13.1 possibly. Most guys running mid to low 12s on that setup are running 22-24 psi and adding timing with methanol injection or a race chip/race gas.

Hot Carl

Based on the numbers you posted it looks like the tune is solid. Was there any knock retard? My work computer won't open powerlogger right anymore so i cant view it. Other than a 93 chip, slightly better intake and the downpipe most of what you have is for reliability and not adding big power. Its possible the valve springs are weaker and hindering the mph a bit but 13.3 and 100 mph are chopping about a second off the ET and adding 4-5 mph over a typical stock car. Not bad for minimal mods. What was the weather like when you ran and what altitude is the track? You could lock the converter in 3rd and probably pick up a couple mph and drop to a 12.9-13.1 possibly. Most guys running mid to low 12s on that setup are running 22-24 psi and adding timing with methanol injection or a race chip/race gas.
low 80's temp, track elevation 1145ft

Thank you for posting that last line. It clarified my doubts. As long as I am where I should be im happy.

Thanks for sharing, guys!

salvageV6

Daily Driver
Nobody can tell if you have a problem until you post up what your brother runs....? ;):p

60 fts. need to be better, you could knock .3 off there in the quarter.

Hot Carl

Nobody can tell if you have a problem until you post up what your brother runs....? ;):p

60 fts. need to be better, you could knock .3 off there in the quarter.

Well I have had a come to jesus moment with myself. My project funding wont allow me to catch my baby brother just yet. He's running a 2nd gen CTSV on drag radial, intercooler, e85, and pulley. He can spin off the line and most of first and still ticks a 11.50.

Is there a better technique for dropping my 60' or is it equipment related? rear sway, LCA, shocks, etc? I usually leave at 5psi, Ive tried leaving higher, but my times are staying the same.

Mr.Spool

17-18lbs of boost
This is your problem,and you probably have low timing to boot.put good gas in it and raise the boost to 23 psi.with timing raised in low gear 1.5 to 1.6 60fts and low 12s.high 12s on 20 psi and a solid 60ft.

hensleyt

100 octane pump gas if you can get it and the tank should be all most empty. Then work your way up.
then you will need help getting it to hook

jshot

I am on this same basic "newbie" set-up. and as it has been discussed many times over on here, a big question is what is the next step?. Alky, bigger Turbo, or maybe a better intercooler.

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
I am on this same basic "newbie" set-up. and as it has been discussed many times over on here, a big question is what is the next step?. Alky, bigger Turbo, or maybe a better intercooler.
Depends on your goals. Good launch if you have the mph will get tenths easily. More boost will need better fuel and if e85 more of it. Then comes the timing.
Just buying parts is expensive and if you aren't maxing out what you have kind of a bottomless pit.

hensleyt

Alky is the one thing that is a consistent bolt on that will work with most anything you add to it. (Turbo cam heads transmission converter) it will work and a fancy intercooler is way down the list of modifications. It MUST be maintained and tested often. But it is buy far the easiest bolt on for our Buick’s to gain big strides in making it go faster

jshot

Alky is the one thing that is a consistent bolt on that will work with most anything you add to it. (Turbo cam heads transmission converter) it will work and a fancy intercooler is way down the list of modifications. It MUST be maintained and tested often. But it is buy far the easiest bolt on for our Buick’s to gain big strides in making it go faster
At what point does the stock turbo become un-efficient. ? Does Larger turbo have less heat transfer to the charged air to allow for gains or is it all about boost ?

Nigel

ALKYCONTROL
Stock Turbo/Long Block/Intercooler/Convertor is good for low 12s with a good launch.