Do I have .030 over block and pistons?

Justa_v6

I bought the car several years back and drove it a while and parked it with the hopes of upgrading with ported heads and having the block bored over.

I finally got back to working on my car and decided to install ported iron heads I purchased here. I purchased all the gaskets and head bolts and when I removed the head I was surprised with this. I tried to look them up with no success.

Do I have .030 over bore pistons. I don’t have inside micrometer to measure.

bf1c29384f5d6c2490a83be9bd404a0e.jpg
If so it is a nice surprise.

8f35cce0b058f751140f9c35c31baa83.jpg
8f35cce0b058f751140f9c35c31baa83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured just wanted to make sure. Great one less thing to spend money on. Thanks for all the help guys. [emoji111][emoji2534]

What are your goals for the car? You might want to read up on hyper pistons in a turbo engine. Probably ok for close to stock but I would put some forged slugs in.

I took a new set over of hypers over to my engine guy and he would not even look at them let alone putting them in my engine. He told me to take them with me and bring a set of forged the next time I came over.

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/hyper-pistons-bad.113390/

Here is one of many threads on the hypers but I think they are mostly talking about them in a 4.1 application. There is good and bad things said about them. I’ve never used them but if they were in my engine I would want to know what potential issues to avoid. In the picture guide they seem to be lacking support in the wrist pin area and that would concern me but it costs a lot of money these days to rebuild a short block and they are in your engine already.
HTH

No idea what block you have, but you defiantly have some of the weakest .030 pistons available on the market.

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/hyper-pistons-bad.113390/
In the picture guide they seem to be lacking support in the wrist pin area and that would concern me but it costs a lot of money these days to rebuild a short block and they are in your engine already.

it's not so much the wrist pin area, it's the ridiculously stupid way the oil ring has the return slot opened up. It basically makes the skirts only supported by two small spots when the piston tries to rock over. When they crack, the pinch off the rings and make them worthless. Within milliseconds, you'll know it when smoke starts to chug out the breathers like a freight train.

I've seen me do it. Never again.