DIY Intake Porting

Think it works like the surface of a golf ball. It's well known that a glass smooth surface does not help with flow through the intake. I've seen intakes roughed up with sand blasting, including the Power Plate.

I have no data to prove anything but believe that a dimple surface is much more applicable in wet flow NA applications, to reduce surface wetting. Speculating here . . . .

Can't help wondering what the dimples look like in an engine that has overlap and/or egr. Lol

Dimples on a golf ball are there to cause drag.

so backspin will cause lift (same as the fuzzy on tennis balls creating drop from topspin).

The dimples on a golf ball create a thin turbulent boundary layer of air that clings to the ball's surface. This allows the smoothly flowing air to follow the ball'ssurface a little farther around the back side of the ball, thereby decreasing the size of the wake.

If you want to get deeper into the aerodynamics, there are two types of flow around an object: laminar and turbulent. Laminar flow has less drag, but it is also prone to a phenomenon called "separation." Once separation of a laminar boundary layer occurs, drag rises dramatically because of eddies that form in the gap. Turbulent flow has more drag initially but also better adhesion, and therefore is less prone to separation. Therefore, if the shape of an object is such that separation occurs easily, it is better to turbulate the boundary layer (at the slight cost of increased drag) in order to increase adhesion and reduce eddies (which means a significant reduction in drag). Dimples on golf balls turbulate the boundary layer.
The dimples on a golf ball are simply a formal, symmetrical way of creating the same turbulence in the boundary layer that nicks and cuts do.

I have no data to prove anything but believe that a dimple surface is much more applicable in wet flow NA applications, to reduce surface wetting. Speculating here . . . .

Can't help wondering what the dimples look like in an engine that has overlap and/or egr. Lol

You may be correct. The flip side is perhaps the dimpling causes many fuel droplets to collect. Then the heat from the intake tract causes evaporation of the droplets resulting in a cooling effect & a more dense intake charge.

You would think that technology exists that can either verify or refute the various theories. Meanwhile... Artificial aspiration remedies many deficiencies.

PS. EGR? We don't need no steenkin' EGR.

Howdy,

I'm pulling my engine to fix a persistent oil leak and repaint it. Since it's coming out figured I might tackle some of the unadressed aspects of the engine build when I put it together years ago, namely the bone stock intake sitting on Champion CNC irons.

I can't afford a real Champion CNC intake but I have a grinder, a small mill, and time. From reaching OLD posts, it seems worth doing but there were mixed responses on doing the standard valley pan intake gasket match vs. going for Felpro 1200's. Thoughts?

You might find these helpful.

AA.jpg
AB.jpg