Dismal Alcohol Results

Dean

I'm still having disappointing results when I run alky and pump 91 (CA). On straight pump gas I can run ~15 psi without KR, and only 17 PSI with alky set at ~8. Engine has a small roller cam, mild ported stock iron heads, 6265BB turbo, 21* WOT timing. Fuel pump delivery tested and verified good.

Alky Pump tested with the PAC controller set at ~8 (no numbers on my controller), using Razor's tester, 13.0V supply (though my car operates at close to 14V):
  • Pump comes on at ~7psi
  • Pump hits max at ~18psi
  • Max test gauge PSI reading: ~110
  • Volume through the test nozzle 910 grams per minute = 120.4 pph = 18.2gph (@6.6#/gal of methanol)
  • Volume through up pipe nozzle: 995 grams per minute = 131.6 pph = 19.9gph (@6.6#/gal of methanol)
I'm wondering if that tested flow volume at 110 pump psi is sufficient for more than a 2psi boost increase. Seems it should be. I would expect the alky system performance to be much the same (or better) than when I ran 100 unleaded.

I'm still having disappointing results when I run alky and pump 91 (CA). On straight pump gas I can run ~15 psi without KR, and only 17 PSI with alky set at ~8.
something is very wrong.i ran more boost and timing on 87 and meth than that.check the gapping on the plugs.

I'll check the plug gaps. New set a couple hundred mile ago set at .032.

Fuel rate rise not verified, but it runs fine and pretty much as expected with no alky.

Bob Baily Alky chip in a GEN2.

Yes, stock CR. Again, it runs fine on gasoline, it is the gain that seems insufficient.

Today I'm going to pick up some Sunoco 100 unleaded and add it for a 50/50 mix. On my stock engine that would allow for a boost increase of ~5-6 psi (from ~15 to ~20-21). If I get similar results on this engine, maybe I have a bad batch of methanol?

Yesterday it was 780 at 16psi, 21*, 0.0 KR, alky set on ~8.

FWIW: PTE 6265BB .63 S cover, CAS V2, 62mm TB, mildly ported stock iron heads (~185I, ~155E flow), 206/206 roller, 60# injectors, GEN2 with alky chip.

Have you tried adding a little fuel with the gen 2 in the high load areas? No wide band ?

No wide band hooked up (I should get that done), and I could add more fuel with the GEN2, but the alky should be supplementing quite a bit more, no? W/o alky I get similar readings at ~2 psi less boost, so that is my gain.

BTW, methanol is the supplemental fuel I'm using in the "alky" system. I suppose I should be saying meth. :)

Yeah the alcohol should be more than enough to bring the AFR in line. When I tune with the wide band my pump gas AFR is mid 11s with alky I'm mid 10s to compensate for the extra volume required with alcohol. Hard to get this dialled in with a narrow band. Plus once it's close with a wide band you can enable the WB correction in the Gen2

Yesterday it was 780 at 16psi, 21*, 0.0 KR, alky set on ~8.
my thought is you should be seeing higher mv at 16 psi.the alky should be on 6 and the afr should be increased with gas.right now it sounds like not enough gas and meth is keeping the heads on the car.increase wot fueling and see if afr goes up,however you really need to see fp at wot.

Plus once it's close with a wide band you can enable the WB correction in the Gen2

That is exactly what I want to do.

Meth pump was rebuilt ~2years ago, put into service ~18 months ago.

Fuel pump is relatively new DW300, flow tested at 70psi it delivered ~69 gph / 260 lph out the return port of the regulator. If it was a gasoline delivery issue I should see that effect on the gasoline only maximum limit, correct?

I usually replace my alky pump every couple years and run a hood mount FP gauge. Lean is the easiest way to lift a head.

Meth pump was rebuilt ~2years ago, put into service ~18 months ago.
Means nothing. With Julio's tester, you should be seeing much more than 110psi at full blast, more like 170. Your pump is not pushing enough alky or you have a leak in your system.