Directions around Chicago to BPG

GNregistry

Hello,

Leaving Thursday morning for BPG.

Can a member in the area, tell me about directions to BPG from Wisconsin through Chicago, construction, detours, traffic delays... I thought of going across Lake Michigan and then driving down... any suggestions...???

Not really into boat trip but it is an option.

Brett from Green Bay, Wisconsin

Well, I would avoid I-94 north of I-90 if you can.

In Chicago we have 2 seasons and this is construction season!

80/94 down south to IN was recently completed but don't know what is tore up there either.

I was going to go to BGP as well but leaving like 4 or 5am on Friday.

You have 2 options: go thru the city or around it.

It all depends on time of day. If you get here real early or after 10pm you can go thru downtown. Any other time I would go around.

As you come south, take 294 not 94. 94 is an absolute disaster with long delays and it goes through downtown Chicago. 294 has some construction going on, but it moves much better. At this time of year, you'll probably encounter construction no matter where you go. By all means, try to avoid rush hour traffic in the AM and PM.

I think it will be around 1 pm through Chicago... The boat option only saves 100 miles and costs $70 for car and $67 per person.

I thought you were kidding about the boat. I didn't know there was such a thing. I'm curious, where do you catch it and where does it go in MI?

If you take 294 down it should not be bad. Especially if you are driving through mid day. I drove 294 to WI several times and traffic was never bad. But I never went in rush hour either. Mid day you should be fine.

Yikes

i would try to aviod the indiana toll road (80/90) unless you dont mind paying an arm and leg with tolls. they raised the ALOT!!!!

(94) in kalamazoo michigan where it connects with us 131 is a mess and under construction to if you are going that way after kalamazoo it is not bad.

I'm rolling out early thursday if possible. I heard recently that I 65 80/94 ramps are still under construction. So I run 394 south to RT 30 over to I 65 a little longer but hate construction zone squeezes with a trailer.

Steve