Dilemma: Heads or Turbo.

Converter Prob 7yrs old. Just had Trans. rebuilt and converter checked out before motor took a crap at the track. Cant find time slips. But i think the last run was like 13.3 at 114 mph.
Here let me tell you this your 114mph run you had can go mid 11s with the right combo and driver

He is at 104 mph. This should get him to some 13 teens or maybe a 13 oh with traction. Seven yr old converter of unknown origin? How was it checked out? Was it cut and at least had the clutch and bearing replaced? What stator is it running? I still would look at a better converter before i got too wild with engine mods. Some fresh valve springs and a good valve job since you have it apart. Maybe a cam and lifters if you feel it sustained damage. You don't really get into the extent of "took a crap". If it is just a HG get another in there and get back to the track but you do need to know if you aren't supplying enough fuel or why it took this crap.

The stock engine setup is pretty solid if you supply it with the fuel in the correct amount and octane.

In the last thread I was trying to save you 2000 to $3000.but the way that thread went money wasn't an issue.i also told you where the limitations were.let me try again to help you,you are wasting money doing a turbo or heads to run your mid/low 11s.your stock heads and 44 will get you there.i hate repeating myself.now if you want to run high 10s different ball game,see if you put the squeeze to the motor that much there is no room for mistakes.my advice again keep what you have and get the car to run a number dont throw parts at it.put your 44 into the 11.5/20 range and call it a day.if you want to head to the 10s it's going to cost and no room for errors.
Thank you again for your advice. After reading so many threads and comments. I got caught up in the time slip game. Like you and others have said. If you run into the mid 11's. Your going to wish you had P/P Heads or Bigger Turbo to go faster. And this is a true statement. Sooooooo. I'm going to slow this thing down. And fig this build out. Because i prob will want to go faster in the future. Thanks

He is at 104 mph. This should get him to some 13 teens or maybe a 13 oh with traction. Seven yr old converter of unknown origin? How was it checked out? Was it cut and at least had the clutch and bearing replaced? What stator is it running? I still would look at a better converter before i got too wild with engine mods. Some fresh valve springs and a good valve job since you have it apart. Maybe a cam and lifters if you feel it sustained damage. You don't really get into the extent of "took a crap". If it is just a HG get another in there and get back to the track but you do need to know if you aren't supplying enough fuel or why it took this crap.

The stock engine setup is pretty solid if you supply it with the fuel in the correct amount and octane.
I spun a bearing. Not really sure Why. But I understand what your saying. Once the engine is out of the car and broken down. I will go from there. But engine had somewhere in the neighborhood of 197k on it. Was time.

Thank you again for your advice. After reading so many threads and comments. I got caught up in the time slip game. Like you and others have said. If you run into the mid 11's. Your going to wish you had P/P Heads or Bigger Turbo to go faster. And this is a true statement. Sooooooo. I'm going to slow this thing down. And fig this build out. Because i prob will want to go faster in the future. Thanks
Happens all the time. It is very rare that you won't want more after deciding on an initial goal. Best of luck with your build. Who's building it?

one of the things i try to tell people is to take a rid in a legimate car that runs what you want to run and see if you want that kind of ride from not just a performance standpoint but cost and upkeep.sometimes taking a ride is an eye opener;)

If you’re on a budget, spend $50 on a dremel and the various bits necessary to just smooth out and gasket match the ports/bowls yourself. Put fresh valve springs on in the process, then crank that te44 up to 28psi, or whatever the fuel system will support.

If you’re on a budget, spend $50 on a dremel and the various bits necessary to just smooth out and gasket match the ports/bowls yourself. Put fresh valve springs on in the process, then crank that te44 up to 28psi, or whatever the fuel system will support.
Yep. Thought long and hard about doing that. But come to realize with all the comments and info. When I reach my goals of mid 11's. I will probably want ot go faster. So i'm going to let Bison build my 60 turbo. Then sale my 44. Get some 60lb injectors. And sale my 42lb inj. And wait on a set of good p/p heads. Then start building.

Yep. Thought long and hard about doing that. But come to realize with all the comments and info. When I reach my goals of mid 11's. I will probably want ot go faster. So i'm going to let Bison build my 60 turbo. Then sale my 44. Get some 60lb injectors. And sale my 42lb inj. And wait on a set of good p/p heads. Then start building.
If you're buying 60's, you might as well look into 80's. They are roughly the same price, and with one of Eric's chips mine run like stock.

^^^ This.

There's a lot left in your combo. I would agree that heads are a waste of money at this point. You'll have the heads off anyway. Clean em up, port match and do a little conservative porting. Don't go nuts as you won't gain that much but at least you know there's not much left to do to them. Get new valve springs and seals. It quick and easy when they're on the bench. And cheap. Not sure what the current popular spring is. Mine are CC 980's but I'm sure there are other options.

^^^ This.

There's a lot left in your combo. I would agree that heads are a waste of money at this point. You'll have the heads off anyway. Clean em up, port match and do a little conservative porting. Don't go nuts as you won't gain that much but at least you know there's not much left to do to them. Get new valve springs and seals. It quick and easy when they're on the bench. And cheap. Not sure what the current popular spring is. Mine are CC 980's but I'm sure there are other options.
Ok Thanks. i'm having to find a Crank first. Just as we thought. Spun rod bearing on #4. Not going to turn crank past .20. So i'll just find another.