Digital dash, fuel gauge showing "- -"

kenny

No turbo, no care.
I'm assuming it's not the dash itself, because everything else still works. Normally when a dash dies, it doesn't show anything.

So... that leaves where it gets info. I assume it gets info from the sending unit?

FLOAT MAY BE STUCK IN FULL POSITION. I'VE SEEN MINE BLINK BETWEEN F AND -- . JUST A POSSIBILITY. :confused:

Well, it's been flashing between - - and however many gallons are in the tank.

I just filled it up, and now it's staying at - -.

That is an easy one....you have an open circuit between the fuel gauge and the sending unit. Also check the sending unit ground. The reason why it sometimes shows gallons and sometimes -- is the circuit is not always open......hope this helps!

Mine did that when I had a dead spot in the sender. Sometimes showed gallons, sometimes the "- -". Check the grounds first, but it sounds like a dying sender.

Jim

mine shows 'F' for like 90 miles then shows 17 then it plummets to 8 like 100 miles later.....had it show the - - a few times to but never thought anything of it

Originally posted by kenny
... now only problem is where to find a sending unit.

Yes, that's the tough part. When mine went bad I ordered what I thought was the right sender from GM. When it came, I realized it was a N/A sender - no hanger for the fuel pump. I painstakingly pulled both apart and moved the sender portion of the new one to my old hanger. It's been a few years, but I don't think I had to break anything to do it.

I think ATR is still selling complete senders/hangers with their big pump setups. I wonder where they're getting them?

Jim

This is a long shot but... I had a similar problem... Although I have a regular dash and not the digital, check the wire harness in the trunk. It runs down the driver side near the back of the car. The power wire for the fuel level is back there. Cant remember which one but mine cracked and would cut between full and normal all the time then finally must of broke completely so I got no level reading. Re-wired it back together and the problem went away. GOOD LUCK...:D

I have the digital dash and mine does the same thing fireberd350's does. It shows F when I fill it up. It stays like this for anywhere between 70 and 90 miles. Then it rapidly goes down from 17 to whenever I get more gas. Once my car wouldn't start and the gauge showed 9 gallons. Turns out I was out of gas. It has went as low as 7 gallons. I always try to get gas when it gets around 10-11 gallons now. I know most all gauges seem to "react" to the way you drive your car, but going from 14 to 9gallons in a 10 mile trip is a little scary to me.

Good to hear....

My Digital fuel gauge isnt the only one that does silly stuff! Mine stays on full for like 80-90 miles then drops like I got hole in the tank from 17 down to 7-8. But my gauge works pretty good down low though. I have run mine low just to see how low it goes. I can get down to "E" then it starts flashing. Once it does that I can fill it up and put in 17 1/2 gallons on the 18 gallon tank!:eek:

Originally posted by turbojimmy
I think ATR is still selling complete senders/hangers with their big pump setups. I wonder where they're getting them?

Do you know if they sell it seperate?

Also, does anyone know the part number?

I've read the analog sending unit differs from the digital, correct?