Differential lube change...

pkschul

I bought a couple quarts of 75w-90 Mobil 1 full synthetic and a Fel-Pro gasket. Do I need additive with full synthetic? What about rtv sealer with the gasket or just mount dry? Also, I can't seem to find a reliable torque spec on the rear end bolts. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Depends on what differential you have. Raise the rear end and place your car on jackstands, put it in neutral and rotate the passenger side tire forward; if the other tire goes forward then you have a limited slip differential; if it rotates backward then you have an open differential. With an open diff. you don't need anything else other than the gear lube. If it is a limited slip then go to your local GM dealer and get a bottle of limited slip additive. Clean the gasket surfaces well (you can use brake cleaner). I always use a skim coat of RTV (Black or red)on both sides of the gasket, but you don't have to. I can't find any torque specs. for the cover, but the bolts are small(around 1/4" or so) so somewhere around 50-80 in/lb. Earl Brown or Nick Micale would probably know.
Hope this helps.
John

Posi additive is always needed ( if so equipped of course) look for G80 on your SPID label.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Looks like I'm good. It says "Limited Slip Friction Modifier Included" right on the bottle. I would still like to know the torque spec on the bolts.
Mine is an 86 GN. Am I right in assuming all GNs have posi?

Nope. Was an option.

Torque specs... tight. :p If you can't find any. Just tighten with a 1/4" drive in a criss-cross pattern until evenly tight.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Looks like I'm good. It says "Limited Slip Friction Modifier Included" right on the bottle. I would still like to know the torque spec on the bolts.
Mine is an 86 GN. Am I right in assuming all GNs have posi?

Like stated check the tag for G80. My 86 did not come with posi. Hope yours has it.

Torque spec, is 22 ft lbs....that's from GNTTYPE.org

Most posi's recommend no synthetics. I talked to Moser and others and they recommend good old dino oil

Most posi's recommend no synthetics. I talked to Moser and others and they recommend good old dino oil
For real? Why not? Anyone else have opinions on using synthetic rear end lube?

Oh and yes my trunk decal has a "G80" code. :)

The answer is ''It depends''. If you change the fluid and the rear end doesn't chatter on tight turns, you're fine.

If you're posi clutches aren't as grabby as they should be, and there's no chatter... there's no reason to make it slip even easier by adding the whale snot.

OK thanks guys.
I returned the Mobil 1 and picked up a couple quarts of Valvoline 80w-90 oil and a tube of posi lube from Advance Auto last night. When I got home I noticed a little sign on the Valvoline bottles that say "limited slip". So it sounds like this lube already has the additive. Would it be overkill for me to use the extra tube of additive? Other than that little blurb it doesn't say anything about how much additive is already included. Should I use the extra tube of additive?
This is what I bought...
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/valvoline-high-performance-80w-90-gear-oil-vv831/7070003-P

I have never used an additional lube with Valvoline or Kendal gear oils. Put it in and try it, if you get chatter on turns when warm add 1/2 a bottle. Some chatter in hot weather in a tight turning radius like a shopping mall is ok, BUT we shouldn't be in a mall parking lot;)

After advanceautoparts.com sent me the wrong gasket and getting that all sorted I finally got around to adding the oil to the differential last night. Admittedly I did spill some of it, but it took the full 2 quarts and it seems like it even needs more. I was told earlier that it should take a little less than 2 qts. I do have the rear jacked up a few inches. Would that make much of a difference?

Actually the rear tires are still touching the ground so the axle shouldn't be much off the mark.

Moser now says Motul Synthetic is ok to run with their diffs. I just changed mine this weekend.

For real? Why not? Anyone else have opinions on using synthetic rear end lube?

Oh and yes my trunk decal has a "G80" code. :)
Moser just says dino oil with no limited slip additive for their Wavetrac differential as it needs friction to operate properly.

When I got my GN. My rear chattered on hard turns. I didn't think it had been changed in a long time if ever. Sure enough, it needed it. Gears looked good, minimal wear. I used Valvoline gear oil. It still chattered a bit, so I added some TransX limited slip & it runs smooth now. It's my daily driver & its been runnin solid. I torqued my bolts down to about 22-23ft lbs.