Difference between intercoolers

Gentlemen. Quick question. What is the difference between a Precision stretched stock location intercooler and a GN1 stretched stock location intercooler?
Besides the $800 buck difference. Both are Great names. I have been in the Buick game for more years than I count and I always wondered.
Airflow.period.
Both can get heat soaked if air temp is high enough or making back to back wot hits.
Multiple ways of controlling temps my favorite is methanol injection.
Vertiflow intercoolers will have less pressure drop
Horizontal will cool better.
Bottom line is a stock intercooler can run 10s but get heat soaked quick depending on outside air temp.
A larger neck on the stock intercooler with meth injection can easily satisfy a mild bolt on turbobuick.
Stock motor, stock intercooler duty neck,single nozzle meth injection 93 form alkycontrol has been 11.3 @1320.
I've done a stock combo that ran into the 11s on 93 and a single nozzle including stock injectors with a bone stock motor and a tt chip😉
A fun low cost mild combo,with a stock intercooler.

I never got the boot for that,everything else though😉
Me neither. I hide my stuff REAL WELL!
They never found the double wall up pipe either......
Also froze the bottom of a double wall plenum.
N2O completely hidden IN the motor....
I have my own engine and general machine shop, and was OSHA certed roll bar welder for Allis Chalmers, then aerospace with TIG, etc. before that. I should write a book. I know where the skeletons are buried.
I'm not gonna post more about that subject, nor will I answer P.M.s or calls about it either. And I will not do any more of that type of work on NHRA or NASCAR stuff.
Or hi buck auction either. Thats why auctions have "hold harmless" clauses.
They know.
So does NASCAR and NHRA.
I never cheated until I found out most of the guys I had to race against did.
I did it for a few years. Then I quit.
Friday nite grudge with sleepers occasionally is it.
I live in Phx,Az. to get used to the heat before I die.......
TIMINATOR

soooo...the most important thing in an IC is pressure drop....you can not change ambient temp...or temp after running....so your first hit is the best....hmmm....but its a double edged sword ...first hit is not dialed in ...not everything is up to speed so to speak..trans , engine, wheels...ooohhhh damn....it all goes back to research and goals!!!

There was an "Ole Timer" member of this forum (long before 2007/08) that removed the SLIC & ran a U shaped tube from turbo discharge directly to the TB. Cooling was alky injection. I don't remember what type of nozzle configuration was used. I was very new to Turbo Buicks when I found his info during searches for IC info. I apologize for not remembering his results, but I do recall that the other "Ole Timers" were impressed.

There was an "Ole Timer" member of this forum (long before 2007/08) that removed the SLIC & ran a U shaped tube from turbo discharge directly to the TB. Cooling was alky injection. I don't remember what type of nozzle configuration was used. I was very new to Turbo Buicks when I found his info during searches for IC info. I apologize for not remembering his results, but I do recall that the other "Ole Timers" were impressed.
From what I remember there was someone on her that was doing that but disapeared for a while. I think he's back now. Didn't work for one of my friends car at all. Have to think who it was that did this.

Turbo puts out alot of heat!
The intercooler will take several degrees of hot air out immediately!
Alky on top of that is the cherry😉

From what I remember there was someone on her that was doing that but disapeared for a while. I think he's back now. Didn't work for one of my friends car at all. Have to think who it was that did this.
Bruce Plecan, did all kinds of experiments. He passed away. Don't know if that's who you're thinking of. Removing the Intercooler

Wow. I forgot about this post. I have decided on the GN1 stock location intercooler. The $600 one. Pass on Precision($ 1300). Putting the saving in my car elsewhere. Got my hands on an old school ATR rear sway bar. All you older guys like me know with I'm talking about. Always wanted one. Also a new turn signal stork. Set of plugs ,wires and a slew of other crap. Maintenance stuff.

Ohh that's several hundred degrees😉

The testing I was involved with as a development tech for a major tractor company in the mid 90’s found the turbo outlet temps were a little over 300*F.
We were dynoing an engine for a secret project (new series tractor) and the current I/C (charge air cooler) wasn’t large enough so I used an old TR trick.
I built a tank to put the I/C in. A garden hose was stuck in the tank to fill from the bottom with a fitting near the top for the hot water hose to run to the floor drain.
We were able to get the intake air temp 25*F below ambient, but the engineers had us adjust it to 10*F above ambient [“for real world results”]. Those guys ruin everything. Lol They did admit the nearly 80 extra hp would have been nice.
It’s a different application, but still pretty cool.

Intercoolers for us can be broken down into a couple of important things...

Heat transfer
Core Pressure drop
Total piping/core volume

I haven't seen any numbers on the GN1 SLIC but there was some data years ago on a bunch of intercoolers and it was very useful to see the above.

I was the one on her talking in 2008 to 2010 era without the IC, Pre and Post Meth injection on E85, that was an incredible street mod. Turbo was just stupid fast spooling and ditching all that pressure drop made the TA49 more efficient.

But my current Stock Location Liquid IC (SLLIC) takes that to a new level, barely any pressure drop and super cold intake temps for max power. Not price or weight friendly though so SLIC with E85 or Meth would be great street upgrade.

Us boat guys have a great advantage, the entire lake to cool our charge coolers! When its 115 degrees in Havasu or Phx, its possible to get below ambient, since the lake is about 90 degrees, and much cooler up nearer the dam. I usually run 11-12 lbs boost, that nets me over 1100 hp. without the squeeze (14-71 high helix). The foggers (16) drop the inlet temps even more, like a rock!
TIMINATOR
20211106_125636.jpg

Before I install my SLIC, I will run it on my flowbench and post the drop, if anyone has a datalogger with the I.C. drop numbers, we would all like to see that! I will do that on mine when I get the new combo in also.
TIMINATOR

FWIW: I fed the I.C. with 2 -12 lines and dumps. Water is fed from pickups under the boat only partially facing foward, so that limits I.C. pressure to about 60 lbs. at 120 mph.
When I built the boat, before I put the blower on the motor (572 n/a, alum heads, roller, etc) I didnt think to figure pitot pressure for the speedometer. I did find that out at about 95+ mph when the hose blew off of the back of the speedo, and beat the crap out of my legs until I got the boat stopped!
As I remember water pitot pressure equals boat speed at about 68 mph, above that speed it is more!
Ref: Hot Boat Magazine, Speedo Reado article, (about 2006.)
Does the NHRA allow water to air intercoolers?
Or does it matter with the cooling of the alcohol spray? Or you limited to water only?
Some things to contemplate....
TIMINATOR

Like pronto said dutneck ic..
Combine it with Razor alky/93 , 42lb injectors, 49/44 turbo garrett or BB restalled d5 or tight 10.5" properly tuned & your killing kool guy cars while getting close to 30 mpg with your foot out of it on the highway.. My theory is everyone loved these cars way back when so why stray TOO far from buicks original design?