Difference between intercoolers

nickygn23

Gentlemen. Quick question. What is the difference between a Precision stretched stock location intercooler and a GN1 stretched stock location intercooler?
Besides the $800 buck difference. Both are Great names. I have been in the Buick game for more years than I count and I always wondered.

I stay out of most tech threads out of respect for the btdt gurus, but can say one big diff is 3" vs 2.5" inlet/outlets.. furthermore Jack Cotton once said not much gain from going from a precision slic to a front mount.

Precision is 8s capable. With your mods a GN1 would be fine.

Well, I'm no longer the searching for monster numbers. Past the age of street racing. Still enjoy getting on it every now and again in the street.... Weather permitting. Mostly mine is relegated to Sunday drives and the yearly car show. Its well received. Ten years ago I was looking to go fast. Got there In my opinion. Happy with how it turned out. Took a long time. Thank you for the info Gentlemen. Maybe I'll buy a stretched intercooler soon. GN1 sounds great. Couldn't hurt.

Attachments

• 20200909_094445.jpg
    20200909_094445.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
If you can find a Dutt neck stock ic, that would be a nice upgrade too.

Big difference between the Pte and the gn1,
Neck size and flow design
core design and core size
Pte's overall construction is superior
weight is the only con..
But if your car dont have 700hp and your not racing its not needed like putting a front mount on a 13 sec car. Alky and the stocker will take you a long ways into the 11s

I had no idea that those modified stock intercoolers were even being made. Guess I'm out of the loop.
Thanks.

Thanks you gentlemen. I am now informed. I appreciate all the info. I have been doing the turbo Buick thing for a long time now and I'm still learning.

Attachments

• 20220521_141328 (1).jpg
    20220521_141328 (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 125
  • 20220429_111325.jpg
    20220429_111325.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 127
Thanks you gentlemen. I am now informed. I appreciate all the info. I have been doing the turbo Buick thing for a long time now and I'm still learning.
always something to learn about these cars...Nice car, luv the clear hose on the radiator overflow.

I have used Vibrant cast elbows on stock intercoolers, as I was not aware anyone still made the old style upgrade neck from the 90s. Vibrant takes more fitmrnt, but works much better than stock. I havent run across one of the old ones in years, and cant find my old flow sheets either.
TIMINATOR

always something to learn about these cars...Nice car, luv the clear hose on the radiator overflow. came on Razors Alky Kit. Relocation of the overflow tank hose.

always something to learn about these cars...Nice car, luv the clear hose on the radiator overflow.
The hose came with Razor's Alky Kit. Relocation of the overflow tank hose. Wasn't sure if I was going to use it but I like seeing the color of the antifreeze.

In a streetrace (not that we would EVER participate in that) or 1/8 mile dragrace, unless the boost is real high, the intercooler acts mostly as a heatsink and doesnt heat up a lot. (Disregard if yours is faster than 10 sec!)
We have had good luck by using a nitrous solenoid controlling CO2 spray onto a stock intercooler, before and during a pass to cool it! Liquid CO2 can chill things over a hundred degrees!
I make a triple pass of 1/4" steel tubing attached to the lower front of the intercooler inlet (don't block the inlet!) with .020" holes every 1 1/2"pointing into the intercooler. Dont forget to smash the opposite end closed!
Here in Phienix,AZ. where it gets over 112 degrees in the summer, we have seen over a half second gain! Also, dont forget to insulate the outside of the stock or SLIC duct, up pipe and cold end tank, from underhood temps! We also heat coat the intake, doghouse, and t body too! All of it helps, here anyway.
TIMINATOR

Sprayers on the intercooler are not allowed at NHRA tracks.