Diesel Cutlass Supreme

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
What do you think of a 1981 dark green diesel cutlass supreme with a diesel 350 v8. Needs a rebuild but still a nice car for $300. I know that those diesel cuttys have some torque especially maintaining speeds on freeways and uphill.

2 door or 4 door? If the engine needs rebuilding then walk away. It will cost you an arm and a leg.

I thought you were moving to L.A. or San Antonio... a cutlass with a Diesel is a POS period.

I thought you were moving to L.A. or San Antonio... a cutlass with a Diesel is a POS period.

well L.A. is cool (last time I was there) and one of the scholarships I was offered is at LBU, (Long Beach University) or I was thinking of going to college in Houson to be a bit closer to the family. I thought that the diesel v8s in the oldsmobile were pretty tough.

2 door, daaark green with nice chrome, 300 bucks check the wasington area craigslist.

I don't have time to search kid. I work for a living.:biggrin:

well L.A. is cool (last time I was there) and one of the scholarships I was offered is at LBU, (Long Beach University) or I was thinking of going to college in Houson to be a bit closer to the family. I thought that the diesel v8s in the oldsmobile were pretty tough.

The 350 Olds diesel is not a bad engine but it's painfully slow. Good "gas" mileage but it's mechanical injection. You can wake it up some with twin turbos but you're looking at more money. If you're looking for a car that, well maintained, will hold up you've picked one but it's very hard to find some one that can work on them now. But the up side is that if you want to convert it to a gas engine then you have one heck of a block. Put a 425 Oldscrank in it and bore it .250 over and you have a big block Olds in a small block. Talk about torque and no gas mileage.:biggrin:

That would be a bolt in smog exempting kit.

Simply inistall the motor in your TR, get a smog pass, and swap it back to a turbo 6....

Sometimes these Cali smog laws give me some wild ideas.

Mark E.

I'd buy it in a heart beat if it has anywhere near a decent body. I see it as a nice roller that needs a sbc trans plant. I put a sbc in my old cutlass. Headers and dual exhaust gave it a nice sound too. Wasn't the fastest thing in the world but it was nice driver. Sold it for go fast parts for the buick. Man I miss it. Will have another one day done up the same way. Imo, that is the best looking gbody.

I don't have time to search kid. I work for a living.:biggrin:

The 350 Olds diesel is not a bad engine but it's painfully slow. Good "gas" mileage but it's mechanical injection. You can wake it up some with twin turbos but you're looking at more money. If you're looking for a car that, well maintained, will hold up you've picked one but it's very hard to find some one that can work on them now. But the up side is that if you want to convert it to a gas engine then you have one heck of a block. Put a 425 Oldscrank in it and bore it .250 over and you have a big block Olds in a small block. Talk about torque and no gas mileage.:biggrin:

nah I dont need to go fast and I wanr good gas mileage. At my school they have a diesel course that i could take the car too.

What do you think of a 1981 dark green diesel cutlass supreme with a diesel 350 v8. Needs a rebuild but still a nice car for $300. I know that those diesel cuttys have some torque especially maintaining speeds on freeways and uphill.
Do you still have that car?

tear the engine appart get a BBC crank and cram in there some high compression a good intake ad carb and a mean cam :D

I have a 80 cutllas supreme 2door diesel bought of the original owner she got to old to drive..it has the 350dx block which is the improved engine...it had a major engine failure it was under warranty so the dealer installed the dx engine back in 82..I have been driving it for about 2 yrs no problem at all would not hesitate to drive it cross country...aim in Cali and it's smog exempt:biggrin:

The older diesel blocks were notorious for breaking the bottom ends. That's why they came out with the DX block. The DX's were a high nickel block with improved webbing in the bottom end. If the body is in nice shape, transplant a real motor in it. :)

heres mine:biggrin:

Attachments

• cutty 015.jpg
    cutty 015.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 158
  • cutty 016.jpg
    cutty 016.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 187
  • cutty 012.jpg
    cutty 012.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 208
Been driving it for almost two years no problems at all she rides nice. She's nice and quiet on the highway

the dx blocks are pretty sought after in the olds community.. these are the blocks that get built to the hilt. but even better than the block is a car with a diesel vin.... you can transplant a BB in there with no worries of emissions regulations.

yeah ya can get a big block crank in em with a little trimmin on the crank ya got yourself a foundation for a monster engine