diagram of fuse box ?? anyone?

turbo john FL

ITS ONLY A SIX SHOOTER
does anyone have a diagram of the fuse box . i am blowing a fuse and trying to chase down the problem but most of the markings on my fuse box are worn off

thanks in advance for any help guys

john

hey John when fuse blows what acessories goes out? ie dome light,radio,etc.

thanks for the link for the diagram, petesgn

garyk, you got that opne right of the bat. i am losing the dome lights, radio, and my car alarm wich is on the same fuse. the one that keeps going is the 30 amp
at the bootom center where the first row of 3 across goes it is the center one.

here some thing to check...

John, it should be an 20 amp (yellow) fuse,30 amp (green)is too big and there could be a electrical fire risk becuse that circut cannot handle that much current(the wires on this circut are only 22 ga),replace the fuse with a 20 or it will burn wires in two and make them a fuse :eek: .....things to look for;what i see is most common;

1) bad cig lighter-unplug it and then see if fuse blows

2)have you replaced the headliner or done ant work up there,ie sunvisors,etc? the dome light wire comes up the drivers a pillar and up near the drivers sunvisor,that where gets pinched/srewed into.i remeber that you have t-tops,so check both dome lights in the rear quaters to make sure the white/orange wires are not hitting each other or body ground.then check plug ,and then follow back/check wiring going to rear veiw mirror lamps.

3)radio memory (orange wire)could be shorted at radio,or radio can be bad.

4)horns and horn relay is on this circut too,check horn relay to check if its bad.

these are most common items i have seen ,try these ,and let me know.....

garyk1970 said:
1) bad cig lighter-unplug it and then see if fuse blows

FWIW, I had the exact same problem with my 86 GN and, after doing a search of these forums, found that this could be (and actually was) the cause. The cigarette lighter was rusted out inside and was constantly shorting out. When I pulled it out, the plastic plug behind it was pretty much completely melted. I went to Pep Boys and bought one of those HELP! ones as a replacement, along with some new connectors: No more problems. :smile:

i agree, that why its the #1 thing to check first.pennies is the number one cause i see in this area,but not in regals of our era,only where cars cig lighters are vertically mounted do you see the pennies falling in.i fixed one just the other day for an older lady like this(took me 30 seconds),she took it to several dealerships and paid lots of $$ and THEY couldnt find it??!!

thanks for the help and the places to look. i will start checking through those connections. and thanks for the heads up on the fuse size . will change that . do not want to go up in smoke , maybe smoke the tires a little :D

let us know,there are more things on that circut to check if the most common things are not the problem.

p.s. did you get the t-top on your car?

looks like i found it . my crappy plastic door lock switches . the one on pass. side came apart and the lower part of the cheap piece of crap switch came off the upper half and the contacts were exposed and groundin on the door.

i have not payed that much attention to the pass side

thanks for all the help guys
JOHN

that was my next guess :biggrin: really would have never expected that because you should have had a moisture barrier (paper)which would have insulated from door skin.

fwiw the power door locks,trunk release,glove box-hood-trunk lamps are on the circut too,these are not as common(but are known for draining battery) ;)

I'm having the same problem with one of my cars, I unplugged the cig lighter and the fuse still blew. It blows as soon as I slide the fuse in. The horn works so I know that's ok but with the lighter in or out it still blows. I have no interior lights at all. The radio does still work though but it does not remember any stations. It just resets each time I turn the car off. Any ideas? Thanks!

You still have a direct short on the clock/lighter circuit. Pop the cover off the dome light and see if your bulb has came apart.

Someone put a list together, here are the circuits on the CLK/CIG fuse:

Cig-Clk: Antenna relay, AC control head, radio capacitor, security indicator, chime module, instrument cluster (digital), radio, cigar lighter, glove box light, engine compartment lite, footwell courtesy lights, power door locks, dome lights, trunk lights, vanity mirror lights.

These circuits use an orange wire for power supply.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks guys... So if I have a burnt or broken light that could cause my problem I take it? I think the under hood light is actually broken. Maybe that is the cause? Ill go over the car now that I have more options. Thanks!