Diagnostic tool

Jim Mallery

1984 GN Stock Novice
All stock 84 GN. I am trying to learn as much as I can about getting and keeping my car running smooth. What is still available that I can use without making significant modifications? Is there such thing as Diagnostic only vs. for tuning? I have had my car for 31 years and finally have time to enjoy and tinker! Anyone in Detroit that wants to share their knowledge?

hey Jim, thought others would chime in by now...

for those with bone stock cars like me who do not want to install a scanmaster and prefer a clean factory look on the dash (even if installing scanmaster in glove box), I've been recommending a scan tool that will show all the available parameters from the ALDL connection.

in addition, it has built in data recording capability AND it has all the cord adapters to use with most all the other cars of today ---

similarly priced to a scanmaster, but does a lot more and can be used on all your other vehicles...

attached is the spreadsheet I created to record the available parameters from the stock 86-87 ACXA & BBKJ eprom chips. factory hot air chips I expect to have similar parameters.

see scan tool here:
https://www.jegs.com/i/Bosch-Actron/885/CP9690/10002/-1

Bosch-Actron CP9690 Details

Elite AutoScanner CodeConnect Kit Enhanced OBD I and OBD II Scan Tool, ABS and Airbag Coverage with Color Screen

Features:

• Compatible with ALL 1996 and newer import , domestic, diesel and hybrid vehicles (OBD II & CAN), as well as 1994 and 1995 OBD II compliant vehicles Includes OBD I Cables for 1984-1995 GM and Ford vehicles and 1989-1995 Chrysler and Toyota vehicles.
  • CodeConnect 26M experience based fixes - Get the next step in diagnosing your vehicle. CodeConnect is a comprehensive database of over 26 million verified fixes for the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) that cause the check engine, ABS and Airbag warning lights to illuminate. These actual vehicle fixes have been reported and then verified by our team of ASE certified technicians.
  • Oil light reset for most 1996-2013 BMW & GM, limited Ford & Hyundai
  • Battery Reset for late model BMW, Mini Cooper and Ford F-Service trucks
  • GM DTC status
  • Airbag codes and definitions for most 1996-2013 GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Hyundai vehicles
  • Graph two PIDs at same time
  • Code Criteria
  • ABS codes and definitions for most 1996-2013 GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda,
  • Nissan, and Hyundai vehicles
  • LIVE real-time data, over 300 possible data PIDs available (depending on vehicle)
  • Record / Playback of live data
  • Reset MIL and turn off Check Engine light
  • Full manufacturer specific code definitions-make/model/yr on the tool
  • Print to PC
  • Read and display MIL status
  • Read and erase DTCs
  • AutoID™ vehicle - Automatically identifies most 2000 and newer vehicles
  • Enhanced Engine and Transmission Codes
  • Tool gives visual indication when the trying to communicate and retrieve data from an OBD II vehicle
  • Read and display all available I/M Monitors (emissions)
  • Read and display pending DTCs
  • Read and display freeze frame data (snapshot of vehicle data at the time of the fault)
  • Read and display VIN, CVN and Cal ID
  • Battery / Alternator / Charging System Monitor
  • Mode 6 in Layman's terminology
  • Display State OBD check
  • Display OBD II Drive Cycle Mode
  • Trilingual menu and code definitions (English, Spanish, French)
  • Component Locator - Text based description of where to find a component on the vehicle
  • Acronym Library
  • Full PID Name Description in live data
  • System setup menu includes language setup, unit of measure, display test, keypad test, memory test, tool information and program mode

Hardware Features:
  • Color display
  • OBD II vehicle diagnostic cable, 6' Extension Cable, Cigarette Lighter Cable, GM
  • ALDL OBD I cable, Ford MCU/EEC-IV OBD I Cable, Chrysler SCI OBD I Cable, Toyota
  • Rectangular OBD I Cable and Toyota Round OBD I Cable
  • Trilingual manual (English, Spanish, French)
  • Updateable via USB port
  • Optional Battery backup for off-vehicle review (Batteries not required to use when connected to vehicle)

Attachments

• GN_ODB1_data_sheet.pdf
    40 KB · Views: 9
I made my scan master portable I can take it for runs and check everything out and not have it permanently in the car un plug it for car shows etc
just crimp a small male spade adapter on the white wire for ALDL ( I did have to grind it down a bit for fit ) and splice on a 12v ciggy lighter charger on the red and black wires, red and black are not specific with the 12v ciggy plug as it acts as both ground and power, I used a 12v plug off an old spot light I don't use anymore because of the new great little very powerful flashlights I use to hunt vermin at the course in the AM :p
most parts stores carry 12v cord for 10 bucks
just another option for ya