Deflection

J-B Racing

Forced Induction
So I am thinking of trying an experiment and maybe someone has done it. I want to seal the back of my Grill to reduce drag to the front of the car. So now we have possible issues with heat. My decision is is it worth gaining some HPH and suffer with heat or leave it alone and lose Mph and run cooler!!!!
Testing will decide.

A Flowkooler hi flow water pump will help keep your temp down. Just their water pump alone will keep you running cool. They're highly recommended for stop/go traffic, in line at car shows, and parade driving, where airflow is nil as well. Also, if you're running a thinner core aluminum rad, they go hand and hand.

You should check out the website, it's highly educational in regards to the science of cooling and components. They've got this whole science thing behind their water pumps and even claim you can gain hp with one. You gain hp, because you use less to turn it. And at the same time, improving your flow efficiency will conserve your hp.

No mods, direct bolt in replacement. I run a stock 30yo rad/fan, 160° thermostat, and 50/50 water/antifreeze mix(no additives) with a Flowkooler. I also have 150k mi and 3.70s, so I tach about 200rpm higher. I just flushed my rad and so far this winter in mid 40s-low 50s, I've been cruising around at 158°-159°. This past summer in dry, mid-high 80s, I was cruising around at 162°-163°.

Attachments

• 1450933576131.jpg
    1450933576131.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I saw a picture of Big Chief's GTO before he crashed it, and he did block off the 2 big openings of the Car with Plexi-glass. So the idea is not so bad. My idea was to use Black glass for deflection.
Just a thought..:)

There is definitely mph in doing so. Even at 150mph there's gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a gain just by adding light covers 2 MPH +
I don't do street driving anyways, so I will do the test for sure and I like the Flowkooler Water Pumps.

You will see gains, you just have to keep an eye on temps to see how much you can block. One thing to remember is that for a panel about the size of our grill in a 150 mph wind the force on the panel is somewhere over 250 lbs. You can find web sites for calculating wind loading on roofs for more accurate numbers. Point is to make sure you securely mount and brace your block off panel or it will just fold over against the radiator, or tear loose so you can drive over it.