.........Deer Hunters.......how's your season going?

All I know about deer hunting is that people around here are really serious about it. Arguments over who shot what and on who's property, who's been poaching and road hunting, is all I hear about this time of year. The veterans say we are in one of the best areas in the nation for deer. Lately the savvy ones have been leasing the hunting rights from all the owners of the good spots and charging out of state'rs to come hunt here. Drive through the motels here and you can probably find all 50 state tags during deer season. Around here you can hit a 10 point or bigger with your car, though the three I've hit were all does.

I'd try it sometime but I just hate the cold too much. If I can see my breath, I don't want to be there.

All I know about deer hunting is that people around here are really serious about it. Arguments over who shot what and on who's property, who's been poaching and road hunting, is all I hear about this time of year. The veterans say we are in one of the best areas in the nation for deer. Lately the savvy ones have been leasing the hunting rights from all the owners of the good spots and charging out of state'rs to come hunt here. Drive through the motels here and you can probably find all 50 state tags during deer season. Around here you can hit a 10 point or bigger with your car, though the three I've hit were all does.

I'd try it sometime but I just hate the cold too much. If I can see my breath, I don't want to be there.

Bob is right, last week I stayed in Seneca KS and there were guys at the motel from NY State, Arkansas, Michigan etc all down here for the BIG BUCKS!

Jim that deer is the size of our Jack Rabbits in Kansas LOL:biggrin:

Not mine, but my brother's nice take on a Muly in Kermit Tx.
Walked right up on top of him and shot at 50 yards. He was looking for arrow heads when he saw him! 31-1/2" spread, 12 points, 32" neck.

Attachments

• DSC03965.JPG
    DSC03965.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC03977.JPG
    DSC03977.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC03978.JPG
    DSC03978.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 213
Here's a portrait I did of my 10 point.

10pointsketch.jpg

Here's a Christmas gift (In progress) for my dad, it's of his two largest 8's, shot on the same day back in 1984.

IMAG0169.jpg

mikesdeer.jpg

I'm going to try and get back into wildlife artwork, maybe portraits of people's deer if they send me antler pics. I haven't worked with color in 16 years or so and those are just crappy cell phone pics of them.

Here is my story.... which I clipped from an email I sent out this morning.....backgound info.... my son's name is Jackson.... and the camp member that does the scoring at our deer camp (also mentioned in the story) ... is Jim Warren.

----------

Well.... I finally did it...I killed a buck that met my (personal) criteria worthy of mounting..... (which was 130" 8 point or a 140# 10 point) .....I have never mounted a deer in my life. I was fortunate enough to have an opportunity to shoot this buck with my son Jackson in the stand with me. This made it extra special. He has just started going hunting with me. He is 5. We killed this about 3:30 Saturday afternoon. I killed him with a with a single shot 45/70 rifle @ about 80 yards or so. I involved Jackson in the entire process. Once I saw the buck.... I inspected him quickly in the binoculars.... to see if he actually met the "camp legal" criteria which is a 16" minimum inside spread.... or a 20" minimum beam length on at least one main beam. Right off I knew he was easily legal on beam length. I saw the big tall (turned out to be 10-3/4") tine on his left side.... and I asked Jackson if he wanted me to shoot it...... he was so excited.... "yea daddy... shoot it.... shoot it"...... giggling the whole time..... the buck had turned and was standing broad side... but with most of his front half protected by a few trees... where I couldn't shoot....... I told Jackson he would have to cover his ears... which he did.....he took a few steps forward (with Jackson still giggling)...and I yelled... "Hey!".... to make the deer stop... which he did... and I was ready..... (Jackson heard me yell..... and he told me to hush!).... LOL.... I guess I had got on to him enough on the stand to be quiet... he was making sure I followed the rule too.....LOL......... I made the shot just behind the front shoulder..... the minute I squeezed the trigger... I knew I had put a good shot on the buck. 5 sec after the shot... there was another buck that appeared in nearly the same spot.... which I had not seen him to this point...... but he had 5 points on one side... and a funky looking opposite side antler.... might have only been 3 points....and the tines were shorter.... and the beams were shorter... so I knew this was a different buck.....This buck eventually wandered off and Jackson was ready to go get our deer........I explained to Jackson we had to wait 15 minutes before we got down to go look for the deer.....15 minutes later.... we got down and went to the exact spot where the buck was standing when I shot. I looked around for blood.. and found some... I explained to him that we had to follow the blood drops on the leaves... the "blood trail" to find the deer.... I let him lead the way...like a bloodhound... he was spotting blood... and progressing down the path.... the woods were fairly open....so I was steady panning the woods ahead for the deer while we trailed... we probably trailed it about 40 yards when I saw the deer about 25 yards ahead... I said nothing.... and let Jackson keep tracking... he got about 10 yards away... and I said look for the deer.... he saw it.... and started jumping up and down.... and we walked up to his back end and poked it with the gun barrel to make sure he was dead... which he was.... Jackson was singing "My daddy got a deer! ..... My daddy got a deer!.... Oh Yea! ... Oh Yea!".......We went and got the Honda four wheeler... and drug the deer out near the road where I loaded him onto the back rack..... and we went to camp. Anyone that came in the camp yard that was unaware of the deer... he ran over to them to inform them they needed to come and see our deer. It was a weekend to remember... as I am sure neither of us will forget for our entire life!

Here are the numbers:

I had Jim Warren (our official camp scorer to measure the antlers).... I verified his addition when he added up the measurements to get a rough green score.

Rough green score: 131 4/8"

Weight: 195 lbs.
Spread: 16 7/8"
Beam length: 24" and 23-3/4"
His longest tine (LH G2) was 10-3/4"

Overall this is the best buck I have ever shot... and scored better as well.... previous best was a buck that had 20-1/2" beams... and rough scored about 125". This deer had a broken brow tine which shorted me about 2-3 in.... there was not too much left where he had broken it off.... probably fighting...

Now I must find a reasonably priced taxidermist that does good work.. and comes recommended.

Attachments

• 8 pt buck_scaled down.jpg
    8 pt buck_scaled down.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 166
nice 11 point in burke county north carolina

killed this buck a week ago in north carolina foothills. By far my best buck ever after 15 or so years of hunting. Probably will not ever see any thing this good again. Not sure what it will score. The G3s are 10 inches long on both sides. Killed a 6 pointer muzzle loading earlier in season.

Attachments

• 11 point buck.jpg
    11 point buck.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 139
A couple more pictures.

Attachments

• 11 point buck 4.jpg
    11 point buck 4.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 12 point buck 2.jpg
    12 point buck 2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 144
I got a few bucks this year, but after being on strike for a long time and then breaking my leg, I had to give them back.;) :frown: