Deeply Desirable Destructive Device

turbodave231

I grew up shooting. Dad had me shooting big bore handguns by the time I was 12. I watched Inspector Harry Callahan proclaim this gun "The Most Powerful Handgun in the World". I just bought a beautiful example that I can't wait to take to the range.

Here are a few pictures:

44 magnum 001.jpg
44 magnum 002.jpg
44 magnum 003.jpg
44 magnum 004.jpg
44 magnum 005.jpg
44 magnum 007.jpg
44 magnum 008.jpg
44 magnum 009.jpg

Very nice pre-lock Mod 29 with the full underlug. Those grips are probably nice for the range, but I'd be tempted to change them out for some nice wood grips.

That's really nice! Since it is new, does your revolver have any type of trigger or limiting device on it? My revolvers are older and I have only purchased semi-auto's recently that Maryland forces dealers to sell with trigger locks, slide locks, etc.. with their handguns. Nothing is permanently installed but I bet all of the extra crap they have to include raised the price of my firearm.

BTW I like the hand grips as installed on yours - I have traditional wood on my revolvers and it gets sweaty at the range affecting my accuracy. My Glock 19 with stock backstrap fits really nice allowing for better grip at the range. It might just be my hands but I prefer the plastic, rubbery grips over wood any day though I admit the wood looks great on a model 29...ala Dirty Harry.

This is not a new gun and doesn't have a trigger lock. I haven't done all the research just yet to find out exactly when it was made. It is a lightly used 629-3 that I believe was made in the late 70's or early 80's. It came in the original box with all the paperwork and the cleaning kit. I love the square butt and engraved butt plate on this gun. I haven't seen another one just like it.

Anybody got any recipes they like for .44 mag handloads? Got brass on order now

My loads are for a rifle so I'm sure it would cause issues with it Dave. They're really hot, even for a rifle.:eek: Get a loadbook and you can figure out what it likes best.;)

Charlie,

I've been looking in the Speer loadbook for recipes that will work. I have a good supply of H110, Blue Dot and lots of Bullseye (my go to powder). Can't find too many recommended loads using Blue dot, probably end up loading with H110. Just need to land on a bullet(I like Berry's plated bullets because they are reasonably priced in bulk) and pick up a set of dies and I'm in business. I'm not looking to take down any Grizzlies with my loads. Just punch holes in paper and scare the crap out of the guys in the lane next to me!!! :)

H110 is what I use in my rifle loads Dave. It does really well in a 16" barrel but I don't know how well it'll do in a revolver. Bluedot isn't one of my favorites for much more than a shotgun.

go to handloads.com there might be some loads thier. if not i think the Lee reloading man. will offer some help. i can look in my Lee man. tomarrow , i happen to be at work right now.

I talked with a guy that has a 44 and reloads. He said that for plinking he uses Unique. Its cheeper and you use less powder. But if you do put a roll crimp on it the Unique will burn better. I did find a few loads in the Lee man. useing Blue dot. 200 gr. jacketed bullet start at 16.1, max is 17.0 ....225 gr. 13.8--15.2....... 240 gr. 13.1--14.4 .... 240 gr. lead cast. 15.2--16.6 ......265 gr. jacketed 11.6--12.7......310gr. lead cast 9.7--10.7. I hope this helps ya out. I like the lee manual for the odd stuff that i cant find in the other books. It is a good book to go to for just plan lead cast bullets. Lee and my Layman's manuals are the 2 that i run to first.

I sold a lot of 29's back in the late 80's after the Dirty Harry movies were out. Those were 29's and usually the 8 3/8 inch barrel both nickle and blue but all came in a velvet lined wooden box. This is a lot newer gun. I have never seen a grip cap like that one - might be a give away to when it was made but S&W should be able to tell you based on serial number.

Check out loadbooks.com It lists loads for only one caliber from most bullet & powder manufacturers in one 50 page book. I have one for each of the calibers I load . I have the 44 mag book and it has 1331 loads with 39 bullet designs and 38 different powders. It saves alot of searching for loads. Hercules 2400 is a very popular powder for the 44mag, watch your loads carefully because some need magnum primers.

I picked up mine a few years back from one of my wife's co-workers. He was selling a few guns for his daughter's education fund. Still in the box with all the booklets, only about 50 rounds fired since he got it new. He only wanted $250 for it, I sent the money without seeing the gun after he told me it was a model 29.
Picture028_zps7fce19dc.jpg