Deeper or wider oil pan?

TIMINATOR

I am going to add some oil capacity to my stock turbo coupe oil pan while the engine is apart. The front end is lowered 2", am I gonna run into issues if I add an inch on the bottom? Or should I widen it instead? I haven't had the engine in the car for a few months, so I can't measure anything. I also don't remember what, other than the starter(aftermarket PM high torque) is near it. Where is the tie rod in relation to the front of the pan? Should I lengthen the sump?
Anybody got pan pics underneath to post or text me? THANKS!
TIMINATOR

Add to the sump and you will be fine. 1 1/2 inches works well, still higher than the front crossmember.

Way cool! Thanks guys!
I'm a do it myself person, so I will make it lower, wider at the bottom and fab a crank scraper and windage tray too.
I have a machine shop, so I machined my own motor, a flowbench, so I ported my own heads and intake, and a metal fab area, so I will do my own frame and rear seat brace too.
My philosophy is because if I did it my self, and I win, I beat you, your checkbook, and the guys that designed, built and worked on your stuff too.
The screen name was given to me by folks I raced against in Drags, street, motorcycle drags, and boats, (did motors, jet pumps, and fiberglass bottom work too.)
I try to keep my ego in check. I just like to be in control of my own stuff. I also do chassis building but NOT Transmissions, although I have done my share of torque convertors. I have friends in that industry, although we do discuss the mods before they build them, and what happens later. I am lucky for all of this and appreciate it. I will also share knowledge freely, and appreciate all that comes my way. Knowlege is what I got when things didn't work the way I planned. My Grandpa said that......
TIMINATOR

If you can do all the things you posted, I doubt a trans would be insurmountable. Plenty of little tricks but it ain't the black magic some make it out to be. I encourage you as the diy guy(I am too but don't have near the resources you seem to have), to give one a try. David H is a great resource and will answer any and all your questions on a 2004r build.
As far as the oil pan, why do you need additional capacity? I guess nice to have and not need than need and not have?

If some is good, more is better, too much is about right. Wreched excess in all things!
Up in the mountains, you make sea level air plus boost (6-10 lbs) for as long as a half an hour on some grades! Some loooooong grades!
I'm a private pilot, and sky diver (over 400 jumps!) My only "reserve ride" the reserve chute didn't open (with LOTS OF FIGHTING!) til about 300 or so feet!
Lucikly It had rained nearly continously for 2 weeks and I landed in an extremely muddy and water soaked plowed area off field and sunk to almost my knees! I didn't break anything! Chance favors the prepared mind....
Pray for peace, but prepare for war.....
Big oil pan....
TIMINATOR

Timm, I have the RJC pan and it works perfectly. Although my car isn't lowered, it wouldn't be an issue if I did.
You're welcome to look at it anytime.

I'd like to see a pic of the RJC oil pan. I have a 20 bolt 3.8 in he car now, putting a 14 bolt 4.1 init, and planned on making my own deep pan. I already did the trans deeper.

I have the same philosophy as you TIMM.

I'd like to see a pic of the RJC oil pan. I have a 20 bolt 3.8 in he car now, putting a 14 bolt 4.1 init, and planned on making my own deep pan. I already did the trans deeper.

I’ll shoot you a pic of mine when I get home tonight

When you did the trans did you just cut the bottom off and put a strip of sheet metal in and weld the bottom back on? Did you do anything for the filter?

When you did the trans did you just cut the bottom off and put a strip of sheet metal in and weld the bottom back on? Did you do anything for the filter?
I used 2 transmission pans to make one. I cut the bottom half off of one, and the flange off another, messaged the metal for a tight overlapping (<1/2") fit. I was in my earlier days of TIG welding, so it took a bit of effort. I used a 700-4r/4l60e filter (bottom pickup). I placed a magnet in there with a drain plug also.
My original intent was to use a TH350 filter, make a copper pickup tube with flange, yadda, yadda, to move it to the very rear of the pan. The 4L60e filter works fine
Some pics here in this thread on this page.

I plan on it! Lotsa questions!
TIMM

Here it is I bought it about 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• FEEE4C9D-2551-4E95-A0B9-2538E470871F.jpeg
    FEEE4C9D-2551-4E95-A0B9-2538E470871F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • 76A750AF-5AF2-4E4E-93B7-7E3064139DC7.jpeg
    76A750AF-5AF2-4E4E-93B7-7E3064139DC7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
Contrary opinion, based on experience: None of this is necessary.

Keep the stock pan with the sump cover. Add a bigger oil cooler, be done.

Here is a pic of my RJC Deep Oil Pan, you can see it sits higher than my Hughes Deep Transmission Pan !
Please excuse the oily mess, been chasing a power steering fluid leak and finally changed the lines & fittings , still gotta clean it up ! 👍

Attachments

• EFD12029-BE21-42B9-9167-1409B798D112.jpeg
    EFD12029-BE21-42B9-9167-1409B798D112.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 111
Contrary opinion, based on experience: None of this is necessary.

Keep the stock pan with the sump cover. Add a bigger oil cooler, be done.
What if your not running an Oil Cooler mine was Contaminated after an Engine Failure.The Radiator with the Oil Cooler is fairly new so I didn’t want to buy a new Radiator again or run an External Cooler my Builder said this was an Option instead of an External Oil Cooler Jason Cramer says this as well.

Thanks for the pics! I'll be running girdle, and the deep pan with the girdle will be too low, my cars pretty low.