Decissions... Decissions...

Wagondraggin

2nd ugliest car on d site
ok i'm at the point where i want to invest into some type of chip probably a Lubrant... however i've see some people suggest that i should swap to an 86/87 ecm before i do this... i understand the proceedure and what i have to do to do it, but what else does this actually do for me performance wise? i know ther is a greater availabillity of chips but what else??? are there any draw backs?? i'm planning on yanking this engine at the end of the year and installing my little summer project anyway, so should i wait til then to make the swap??

suggestions?

thanks
mike

I think the idle and the fact the car runs better was the biggest thing for the upgrade. Yes the chips you can get make a difference. But the car just seems to run better after the upgrade to the 86/87 ecm. I know twins can vouche for this as well. He was chasing issues with his ecm for the past two years and has been very happy with the performance since the upgrade. I don't know that I have ever heard of any draw backs from doing this. :cool:

You also get better scan tool readings after the upgrade, which help in tuning the car to it's maxim performance.

i dont think you get any data from the scanmaster, except for , like the coolant temp or sumthing with a 85 ecm.

but besides availability of chips,

most hot - air guys just switch over to intercooled parts(maf coil module ecm etc) cuz they are easier to find and ALOT cheaper

go to autozone and ask them what they want for coil module for an 1985 grand national

yer face will look like this :eek:

Last I checked it was $700 for the hot air coil:(

It was described to me once that the '87 ECM processes data from the sensors and makes changes like 50 times faster, making everything that the ECM controls function much better.

sorry to disagree but other than the reasons mentioned above and a matter of user preference the is no actual perfomance gain buy changing the ecm. got this info from joe lubrant himself.

700 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow that spreads the cheaks nice and wide doesn't it!!! :eek:

thanks every one..
i'm changing this weekend...

ps, you can change the coil set up without changing the ecm. I too did find the 86-87 coil more accessible.