dash cluster fuel guage contacts

john connelly

87 GN -converted my GNX instrument style dash back to stock analog cluster. also bought and installed new flex board for the instrument contacts. i notice my cluster only had two contacts for the fuel gauge. everything works except the fuel gauge pins on past full. do i need all three contacts to make the gauge work? the clips are hard to remove and do not know why i would be missing one unless it is not required. any advice would be helpful. john

Stock fuel gauge only uses the two posts. Try cleaning the posts with a pencil eraser. The female contacts may need cleaning as well. Otherwise, the issue may be with the sender in the fuel tank.

Stock fuel gauge only uses the two posts. Try cleaning the posts with a pencil eraser. The female contacts may need cleaning as well. Otherwise, the issue may be with the sender in the fuel tank.
Thank you for the reply. i was concerned because most of the pictures i see of the rear of the instrument cluster shows 3 connectors. And for some reason the "third" post has contact marks on the flex board like it was installed before at one time in the past . i will check the sender. thanks again john

To check and see if the fuel gauge is working properly disconnect the fuel pump connector at the back of the car and ground the center wire in the cable going back to the gauge to the body. Turn the key on and see if the fuel gauge goes to empty. If it does then the problem is most likely the sending unit. If it remains past full then the problem is with the gauge or wiring.

update - 4/17/2019 . installed the third contact clip on the cluster back wiring flex board and that solved the issue.

My file gauge on my aftermarket GNX dash stopped working

I tested the center wire a gauge still pins as full. So this naebs the connection to the gauge is bad?

VDO gauges so I dontvthe gauge itself is shot?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk