DAD is totally Against Grand Nationals

jrich54338

SO I am finally looking for a grand national and my dad has always been against them telling me to buy a 2000 Trans Am. I have never drove a Trans am from that year but I have been in a Grand National and I love the rush it brings when the lagtime clears. Does the Trans Am give that same time of rush??? He says that I am better off with a v-8 less problems down the line.

Anyone please help???

my .02 - Trans am = cheaper, no lag, useless back seat, cop magnet, and slower then the turbo buick. Sure, you can get super quick ls1's but they are barely streetable and get crappy mpg.

You are posting this on a turbobuick website - so I imagine the response is going to be biased. My personal experience is that plenty of Z28's and Trans Am's have been dogged to s**t by 17 year old speed seekers. Sure you could find the same with a turbo buick but I think it tends to be a different type of owner. Again just my opinion.

I guess that would depend on whos going to be financially responsible for keeping which car up and running. GN's seem to find their way deep into pockets, be it modding or repairing. TA would def be cheaper, GN will be much funner.:)

Gn vs TA

If you're the type trying to prove all the naysayers wrong and have a point to prove with the v6 be prepared to spend a lot of money. If you don't care what anyone thinks when it comes to speed then you will be good with the gn. There are real simple 11 second combination's that will make the car a blast to drive, quick, & it will last. If you get greedy it will be a headache. You will have a car that is more rare and respected regardless of speed. In a ta, cowmaro, rustang, etc. you will have to be really fast to get noticed because there are 8 billion of them. How many TR's? 20 to 30,000 maybe?

You're dad is right when it comes to less problems because its more simple. Turbo charging in general requires keeping an eye on tuning, detonation, oil changes, and drive line up keep because you have an on demand power adder at all times. Unlike n2o which is a situational power adder. When driving a gn you will always have the gas pedal to slam to the floor to spool the turbo and no n2o bottles to fill. This obviously can cause more abuse on everything.

I've driven a 2000 trans AM with a 6 speed. It honestly didn't feel any faster than the mid 13 second V8 S-10 I owned at the time. The turbo Buick I have now maybe felt a little faster until i turned up the boost then it felt a whole lot faster.

The Trans AM's are nice cars and I'd still love to have one....however some downsides are they all utilize a very weak 7.5 rear end as opposed to the Grand National's strong 8.5 rear. Trans AMs are also unibody cars though sub frame connectors can fix that...all GN's were full framed cars. Two things going for the Trans AM is their exhaust sounds better (opinions may vary) and they were available with a 6 speed manual and a mediocre clutch...all GN's were autos. Trans AM's are also one of those "everyone and my brother has one" cars, whereas GN's not everyone has one.

However as far as having "less problems down the line because it's a V8"...that really all depends on the car, who's tuned it and so forth.

Smart man your dad, a decent 87 is probably $10,000. If this is to be your main transportation get the LS1. If a toy go for it.

If you plan to drive it everyday...the GN is a thiefs dream ride.
If you want to turn heads...The GN does it every time.
If you are looking to go fast at the track, both will cost you money.
You can find both already modded.
Lack of staying on top of the tune will destroy both engines in seconds.
Tell pops the LS1 is not as simple as the ole carb'd 350s he is thinking of.:wink:

It's really got everything to do with individual taste. If you want something that you can find in every parking lot in the city and buy parts at K-Mart for then get the Trans Am. If you are an individual like most on this board and want something different and personal then go for the GN.

I don't know your age, but one thing to consider is body parts, cost and availability.
If you are under 25 you will bend it. Trust me on this, I did, my son did etc etc.

Parts for 4th gen F bodies are more available than for TBs. F bodies are unibodies so bend more than a fender and its junk, where the TB with a frame is easier to fix, but much more expensive when buying parts.

Personally I prefer V8s, but the TBs are faster out of the box. For road courses, canyon carving the F bodies will out perform the G bodies.

My son wanted a FB so I bought him a 76 350 auto. One of the slowest V8 performance cars GM ever built, he still bent the right front fender 2x.

i had a 2000 ws6,a 2002 ws6 and a 2002 camaro ss,and i also have had 6 gn's,i will tell you i have owned alot of cars and the ta and ss was the best cars i ever owned in my life,never ever any problems and bone stock the 2000 ws6 went 12.97@110 with a 6 speed on street tires and would get 28mpg on the highway,i love gn's but they sure get into your pockets

If hes flippin the bill for a car... get something new with a warranty.. maybe throw a wing on it.... forget the old junk until you have a career and money to piss down the drain.

LOL, tell your dad that your going to buy a 89 TTA and lie to him thats it's a v8;)

Well he could be right about that the TA's V8 being more durable and reliable?? Possibly... Is he a gearhead? If so, try and find a member nearby that can come over and give him a ride in a good running TR, maybe even let him get behind the wheel and feel the power of the boost! That may be the convincing argument. I'm not sure I'd consider a TR as my only car since these cars have some age on them now. I like Diaz 87's recommendation of the '89 TTA!!! Best of both worlds! Yeah buddy. ;):cool:

SO I am finally looking for a grand national and my dad has always been against them telling me to buy a 2000 Trans Am. I have never drove a Trans am from that year but I have been in a Grand National and I love the rush it brings when the lagtime clears. Does the Trans Am give that same time of rush??? He says that I am better off with a v-8 less problems down the line.

Anyone please help???

Tell your Dad that mullets aren't cool any more. :cool:

If you're the type trying to prove all the naysayers wrong and have a point to prove with the v6 be prepared to spend a lot of money. If you don't care what anyone thinks when it comes to speed then you will be good with the gn. There are real simple 11 second combination's that will make the car a blast to drive, quick, & it will last. If you get greedy it will be a headache. You will have a car that is more rare and respected regardless of speed. In a ta, cowmaro, rustang, etc. you will have to be really fast to get noticed because there are 8 billion of them. How many TR's? 20 to 30,000 maybe?

x2

All depends on your mechanical ability and plans for the car.

Daily Driver= LS1

Weekend car+ descent mechanical ability= GN

im 20. just bought my gn. went to replace the carpet floors are gone. welded in new pans and went great. now im having electrical problems!

Listen to you father. I wish I would have. get something more reliable until you can afford it.

SERIOUSLY I'm finding out the hard way how fast Darth Vader gets into your back pocket.

All depends on your mechanical ability and plans for the car.

Daily Driver= LS1

Weekend car+ descent mechanical ability= GN

I agree I've owned BOTH 87 tr and a 99WS6 and I STILL OWN the TR Id like to have the WS6 back for a DD. But iI'[m keeping my TR.

I agree I've owned BOTH 87 tr and a 99WS6 and I STILL OWN the TR Id like to have the WS6 back for a DD. But iI'[m keeping my TR.

Assuming you are young and living under your Dads roof his advice is rite on the money.

While a turbo Regal offers alot in many regards unless you are mechanically inclined or have a nearby shop that is familar with turbo regals using it and maintaining it, and keeping it in your possession could be expensive in time & money.

Ideally a second car to run around in would be a good idea if you go with a Turbo regal.

Cars are just now too old to not develop quirks or problems if used as an every day mode of transportation. Your Dad would also be able to tell where you park your Turbo regal from the oil spot on the driveway!

If an F body is your second choice seek out the hardtop 6 speed versions they are rarer. Tougher on your body but if your young you can handle it.

My third choice would be a 03 or 04 supercharged Cobra still bringing good money.
I may take some heat for that choice but its one that offers pretty good power and parts are available anywhere.

denniskirban@yahoo.com