Cutting Out At ~14 PSI Boost - Suspect Fuel Pump

Keep at it .. you will get it to run 100% .. your chopping away at the issues and its starting to run better NICE WORK !

Right...if the cutting out is truly gone, then I'll absolutely agree. Insufficient fueling, plugs not gapped properly, plug wires touching, TPS not set...the combo = no good.

But, still more to go - I think I've just got the major issues resolved (fingers crossed). Once I have that resolved, I can work on futher dialing it in.

Right...if the cutting out is truly gone, then I'll absolutely agree. Insufficient fueling, plugs not gapped properly, plug wires touching, TPS not set...the combo = no good.

But, still more to go - I think I've just got the major issues resolved (fingers crossed). Once I have that resolved, I can work on futher dialing it in.

get a datalogger / scantool ... get it to run good @ lower boost , get the hotwire working or replace it .. then start turning it up .. E85 doesn't get fun until 21 psi :)

What kinda gap are u running . I just had the same issue but at 10lbs I went through a lot of stuff, I'm running a tr6 so I had my gap at .028 . Which turns out my motors just didn't like it . Closed it down to .020 and now hit 20lbs no prob

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 111

For future reference the best way I've found for getting good wot tps setting is to slide the tps as far forward as it will go tighten the screws just enough to hold it. Then to adjust idle value loosen one screw and tap the nose (connector) of the tps in very small increments either up or down to get the desired idle value. Tighten screws.

I think your throttle blade looks fine. There is no restriction with the slight max angle. I think mine is the same way. Check that off the list.

What kinda gap are u running . I just had the same issue but at 10lbs I went through a lot of stuff, I'm running a tr6 so I had my gap at .028 . Which turns out my motors just didn't like it . Closed it down to .020 and now hit 20lbs no prob

Wow. I'm surprised to hear your motor didn't even like 0.028. I discovered mine were all at 0.038! I re-gapped them to 0.025.

Right now I'm at 17 psi, but I'm shooting for low 21-23 psi in the feutch, so I'll keep that in mind, and that TR6 ignition....when I have the bucks.

First, I need to buy a Powerlogger, then a dual Spal fan set up (I've got the OEM fan, no good with my RJC FMIC and summer coming).

When you say your "...motor didn't like it", what symptoms did you see? Cutting out, or just less power?

Last edited:
For future reference the best way I've found for getting good wot tps setting is to slide the tps as far forward as it will go tighten the screws just enough to hold it. Then to adjust idle value loosen one screw and tap the nose (connector) of the tps in very small increments either up or down to get the desired idle value. Tighten screws.

Sounds like a good method, thankage. ;)

Wow. I'm surprised to hear your motor didn't even like 0.028. I discovered mine were all at 0.038! I re-gapped them to 0.025.

Right now I'm at 17 psi, but I'm shooting for low 21-23 psi in the feutch, so I'll keep that in mind, and that TR6 ignition....when I have the bucks.

First, I need to buy a Powerlogger, then a dual Spal fan set up (I've got the OEM fan, no good with my RJC FMIC and summer coming).

When you say your "...motor didn't like it", what symptoms did you see? Cutting out, or just less power?

It would cutout /buck really bad . Make sure your coil is good ohm it out between the coils

Keep at it .. you will get it to run 100% .. your chopping away at the issues and its starting to run better NICE WORK !

I went for a run and did a quick WOT test...no problems. So based on the consistency of the last few tests, my confidence is much higher that I've (we've) resolved the issue.

I want to thank all that have contributed positive input, but a special thanks to you ~turbo89~ for your extensive help. This TR forum/community in general is a Godsend, and I greatly respect and value the expertise of those within it. While I've owned 6 TR's throughout the years, and have troubleshooted many issues with past cars, I'm reminded there is much that I don't know, and am thankful for those who stimulate my brain to check/adjust things I haven't been considering.

Again...special thanks turbo89, and to all the others that have helped me here so far. ;):happy:(y)

I went for a run and did a quick WOT test...no problems. So based on the consistency of the last few tests, my confidence is much higher that I've (we've) resolved the issue.

I want to thank all that have contributed positive input, but a special thanks to you ~turbo89~ for your extensive help. This TR forum/community in general is a Godsend, and I greatly respect and value the expertise of those within it. While I've owned 6 TR's throughout the years, and have troubleshooted many issues with past cars, I'm reminded there is much that I don't know, and am thankful for those who stimulate my brain to check/adjust things I haven't been considering.

Again...special thanks turbo89, and to all the others that have helped me here so far. ;):happy:(y)

Don't thank me .. YOU DID all the work .. thank yourself .. and I'm confident that you will get it to run to your expectations

Glad to see your efforts rewarded .. Let us know how you like 21 + psi when you get your power logger :)

Let the fun begin !!

I love data. I was biotech research for 12 years, and produced a veritable bevy during my time in that field. But I suspect you're saying that that's where the serious dialing in goes down, which yes...should be good 'n' fun. Just know...I'll undoubtedly need more than a 1/4 smidge o' help interpreting it all

Welp, got the Powerlogger installed and running. And now the challenge is figuring out how to best interpret the data. Not sure how most do it. I took a vid of the screen with my phone, running through the WOT portion of the run.

I haven't read all this http://vortexbuicks-etc.com/Scantool_Readings.htm yet (have a feeling a lot of it might be confusing/over my head), but wouldn't mind some feedback on what the data from this run shows. Nothing is jumping out at me, but I'm not an expert.