Custom chips...

Turbo6Smackdown

Quick question. How do people sell chips, that are burned for their mods? How does that work. What's the odds, of the buyer, having the exact same mods as the seller? I'm lost.

When ordering a chip, you have to provide the year make and model, the fuel you'll be using, injector type, octane use, turbo, intercooler, converter, heads, cam, ecm mph reading correct?, if you're using alky, intended max boost with that chip, and quarter mile goals.
If the chip burner didn't need to know what converter, or what turbo you have, why would he ask? So how can one person, use another persons chip? That would never work.
Please clarify.

People don't always know what they are buying. They see "performance" and their pupils dilate. Wallet automatically slides out of back pocket...or mom and dads pocketbook. The only criteria they care about is correct year, model, engine.

On a completely different note:

Anyone wanna buy a "performance windshield"?

Quick question. How do people sell chips, that are burned for their mods? How does that work. What's the odds, of the buyer, having the exact same mods as the seller? I'm lost.
Please clarify.

Injector size and base timing are all you really need be concerned with. everything else is basically adjustable........the rest is smoke and mirrors..

The translator commander, extreme, extender, enhancement :eek:, etcetera :p chips are all adjustable too. :)

Most of the stuff is in the ballpark on a decent vendors chip if you get one for the right injectors and timing and close to boost level you are gonna run.

But with TT and Turbo Bob you really can't go wrong. :cool:

Just as an aside, keep in mind that you can get even more flexibility and adjustability by going the translator/MAFTPro route too.

Both can use the LT1/LS1/Z06 MAF which can measure up to 768g/s air (with the extender extreme).......The MafTPro takes it even further by allowing Speed Density type of fuel control.

The window of adjustability for fuel and timing is wide enough that really covers most/all types of tuning scenarios you can run in to and it really is a case of what injector size you are running to get the fueling in the ballpark and what fuel you intend to run (pump gas, race gas, Pump gas and alky) to get the timing in the ballpark.....

I'll be running the translator pro here shortly. So I'm pretty much covered but, how can you say it's gotta be close the boost level you plan on running. Isn't the boost level for a stocker, gonna provide different results, than the same psi on a dbb billet 6262?

I'll be running the translator pro here shortly. So I'm pretty much covered but, how can you say it's gotta be close the boost level you plan on running. Isn't the boost level for a stocker, gonna provide different results, than the same psi on a dbb billet 6262?

I think that question was for SalvageV6, and I am sure he will reply as he has good understanding but I will add my thoughts on it.

I think that comment was meant for stock type chips that don't use the extended airflow metering.

The Turbotweak chip only measures to 255g/sec like the stocker does. I don't know the exact numbers, but I seem to recall that even a stock turbo at 15psi "Pegs the MAF" at 255. that would mean that since the ECM/Chip uses airflow to calculate how to fuel, then anything beyond 255g/s is a "guess" and that is why chip burners need to know the turbo and what boost you are running so they can estimate airflow and build a VE Table/Fuel map accordingly....

Now contrast that to the extender/translator setups that go beyond 255g/s and can be up to 768g/sec. You are no longer "guessing" the fuel as the ECM is actually calculating the fueling since the actual airflow can now be measured.

There is ALOT more than just this involved but this is a high level view. If you are going to engage in the MAFT Pro, there is indeed alot of adjustibility, but with all that comes alot of learning too.

Assuming the stocker had a 23 psi. chip or so in it for say an alky. street setup and you upgraded the turbo it's no big deal to run the new one at the same boost, probably a 35HP upgrade. You could compensate with a couple of psi. fuel pressure increase or easier with a tad more alky. flow, one knob on most kits. Assuming you saw any additional KR, I wouldn't assume that though.

For a 16 psi. street chip it wouldn't matter either, it most likely would require a couple psi. base fp increase or a drop of a psi. or two boost to make the same power. All easy to do with a scanmaster and a decent road. ;)

The converter and cam. is used to set the decel fuel and idle speed not a big deal you can idle a stock cam. a bit higher if you want to. However rev. limits and WOT rpm would affect the fueling so I probably wouldn't want any chip burned for an aftermarket cam. with a stocker but I'm sure there are exceptions to even that with a mild cam. chip without heads.

I would want the decel fuel correct though, hence the converter info. they may also use it to set spool fuel if it's a chip burned for custom fueling with a big turbo and low stall converter, if it's that custom I wouldn't buy it used for a more conventional buildup.

Heads and cam. cars certainly need a chip burned closer to the combo. that is for sure.

I don't think many people deal with purpose built chips anymore on close to stock buildups because the adjustable stuff is so much easier and usually works on the defaults with a wide variety of buildups. :smile:

All that being said the information as to what you have and are buying is key and a chip is the #1 driveability factor in the car. :eek:

And in the old days I have bought some crappy chips, so used isn't always the way to go, but that works for any used part as well. Buyer beware.

You'll do just fine with the translator system. :cool:

Woops, I mean to say translator 2nd gen, not translator pro. My mistake.
But I see where you guys are going. Most of the stuff is adjustable... I understand. Thank you.