Cruise Control

Dean

My cruise control no longer works, and here is my only clue: When I "key on", the "CRUISE" light immediately dimly illuminates. It never did that before, and the CC used to function.

Since the last time it was used, the engine was replaced, a Razors Alky Kit was installed, and the PM brakes died a few days after I got the car running with the new engine, so it was replaced with a vacuum setup. Brake and vacuum release switches are properly adjusted and functioning.

I have gone through the Test Directory in the Service Manual (same as http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/cruise_control_trouble_shooting.htm ) and have performed all tests with acceptable results except 5 and 6. I just haven't gotten to 5 yet, but 6 can not be performed because another thing that happens as soon as I "key on" is the cruise servo dumps the vacuum. It does this with the CRUISE fuse removed, too! Something is triggering this, and I can't figure out what.

FWIW, a friend was here yesterday while we worked through the tests, and we used his car as a test mule of sorts. His servo acts the same as mine on my car. I have a spare stalk that we tried, no difference.

The "CRUISE" light immediately illuminating with "key on" is the most perplexing and I think will lead me to the issue, but I don't know how to get there. That light is powered from the Gauge fuse, but should be controlled by the module, right? Thing is, the module is removed, and also with the cruise fuse removed. The only time it will not illuminate with a "key on" is with the servo removed.

I'm heading down to check grounds on the dash, brake, and cruise systems, and to see if there is feedback coming through them somehow.