Cruise Control From Hell

86 TR

Work In Progress
My car has been sitting for about 5 years now. I finally got it out and running today.

Fired right up like it was just running yesterday. I went for a drive today and wanted to make sure the cruise still works. Worked when i used it before it sat. So im driving at 55 and went to push set on the cruise and as soon as I did the car immediately went to full throttle!. WTF? Scared the hell out of me but hit the brake and the cruise shut off. The VSS is working according to my scanmaster it matches the speedo.

What the hell would cause this? Nothing is binding anywhere. As long as you dont use the cruise everything is fine.

The cruise will go full throttle if you were previously set at say 70 mph and you hit the resume button at say 35 mph. Turn cruise completely off and see if it does it again. Did anyone swap the speedo or put a 120 mph overlay over the original 85 mph one? The cluster has to be recalibrated for the 120 mph cluster. I have heard of guys using some type of speedo reducer instead. If all the suggestions fail--ck the grounds. Dp

The cruise will go full throttle if you were previously set at say 70 mph and you hit the resume button at say 35 mph. Turn cruise completely off and see if it does it again. Did anyone swap the speedo or put a 120 mph overlay over the original 85 mph one? The cluster has to be recalibrated for the 120 mph cluster. I have heard of guys using some type of speedo reducer instead. If all the suggestions fail--ck the grounds. Dp
I never hit resume. Just pushed the set button on the end of the stalk. Shut it off and tried 2 more times but the same result.

Stock speedo cluster.

Put a notch or two of slack on your cruise control cable and see what that does.

Hi, I have the same exact problem with my cruise control, have you figured out the problem and fix? 1987 GN stock.

Finally figured it out. It was the VSS buffer. Scanmaster showed the correct speed but I plugged in my OTC scan tool and the speed was all over the place. Replaced the VSS all is good again.

Its nice to have working cruise again.

Finally figured it out. It was the VSS buffer. Scanmaster showed the correct speed but I plugged in my OTC scan tool and the speed was all over the place. Replaced the VSS all is good again.

Its nice to have working cruise again.

Thank you for the reply! Where did you get a new VSS buffer?

I had an old speedometer cluster laying around luckily it was still good yet.

just so i know what part to buy...is this what you had to fix. see picture

Attachments

• IMG_2644_zpsceaf3df0.jpg
    IMG_2644_zpsceaf3df0.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 81