Credit Card Fraud!!!! Is there any protection???

Dreamn4GN

Well me and my women, goto the dealership to get her a new suv. Getting ready to talk numbers with my uncle, he comes back with the credit check... uh ohhh:eek: 5 credit cards pulled in her name going to an address of 1234567 harrison ave turnersville nj..:rolleyes: , Youd think the credit car com[any would have somewhat of a clue about that fony address!! Anyway they took out 5 credit cards racking up 10grand, 2grand each card!! Needless to say my girlfriend is upset, and frustrated!! She works so hard and just feels violated!! But I try to look at things in a postive note! What if we were buying our first place?? Atleast we are aware of it before it got really outta hand!!!
So she called up the credit card companys,she disputed them all, they already did away with 2 of the cards and 4k dollars with in the first day!! they say 34-36 hrs it should be off the credit report!! The other 3 cards are a little more complicated, false dob's and etc!! So long story short... Im looking for some credit protection of some sort!! Whats out there?? Who has used what?? Im looking for some opinons or advice on this situation!!
TIA fellas
Phill

Just run your credit report once every couple of years and if you see anything suspicious, dispute it.

Just run your credit report once every couple of years and if you see anything suspicious, dispute it.

Yeah!! I know there are companys that send you reports every year and lets you know if they detect any fraudulent charges and etc... just looking for personal expiriance!!
thanks

The best way to handle it is through a credit freeze. What this does is freezes your credit that no one can open any type of credit card/loan, even you.

If you need to open a credit card/loan, you need to write to the company to open your credit for a specific time length and then it closes. So if you want to buy a car, you write to the credit freeze company requesting to open your credit for 7 days to buy a car. Once that's done, it closes again.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

It took me about 3 weeks when I went for a loan for my first new car, yeah it was the WE4, to get a false issue off my credit report.

It said my student loans were delinquent since I stopped paying them.

Usually you stop paying on them when you pay them back IN FULL, 8 years early. :rolleyes:

They corrected the issue when I showed proof of payment in full.

I only had half down on the car and needed that loan.

Payed it back in 2 years and thankfully have never needed another loan. :)

The three weeks included my time in getting the govt. (fed. loan), and the local bank (state loans) to send proof of payment in full.

The best way to handle it is through a credit freeze. What this does is freezes your credit that no one can open any type of credit card/loan, even you.

If you need to open a credit card/loan, you need to write to the company to open your credit for a specific time length and then it closes. So if you want to buy a car, you write to the credit freeze company requesting to open your credit for 7 days to buy a car. Once that's done, it closes again.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

We froze ours last year and found that you can do it all online. You assign a PIN number and can unlock it with 24 hours lead time. We actually got all the details from our state's website. Check your state's site, they may be as helpful as our is.

I pay 7 dollars a month for credit monitoring service. It monitors all 3 agencies and tells me if someone even looks at my credit. If a new account is opened it emails you in few hours. Every month you can access your current score.
I got it when I ran a report to buy my house but I was so impressed with it I kept the service now for 2 years.
Cheap insurance I'd say.

We froze ours last year and found that you can do it all online. You assign a PIN number and can unlock it with 24 hours lead time. We actually got all the details from our state's website. Check your state's site, they may be as helpful as our is.

I will check what you guys are talking about!! NJ isnt the best state, but i will check!! She now has 3 of the cards taking care of , in a matter less then 24hrs!! So we has 2 cards left to dispute!! Thanks for the info and input! Any more help is appraciated!!!
Phill

I put a fraud alert on my credit. Find that it works very well. Haven't had any problems in about 14 years since my credit was hacked. I believe that you call the 3 major credit scorers, Equifax, TransUnion and Experian, and tell them you want to have the alert put on. I would also call your credit card companies and tell them you would want a fraud protection or some other kind of name. What this does is that it doesn't stop you from using your credit card if you had to buy something out of the ordinary, such as a plane ticket or out-of-country item, but the fraud department will contact you and verify you made the purchase. I am sure it isn't fool proof, but works well.
If it only took you days or weeks to get it off of your credit history you are lucky as someone hit by lightning twice. Usually it is a long laborious process.
What I don't like about the freeze is that if you decide to open a store account (usually to get another 10-40% off) then you can't until another day or so. I do plan out all of my purchases, but that seems a little too constricting.

so the credit stuff has been taken off right? What else do you want "them" to do? I would keep an eye on your bank accounts and credit stuff but what else can you do? That whole credit score scam is just that to me. A big scam. Pay your bills and keep some cash. Buying a house or car is the only thing you need credit for unless you are doing big business IMO.

so the credit stuff has been taken off right? What else do you want "them" to do? I would keep an eye on your bank accounts and credit stuff but what else can you do? That whole credit score scam is just that to me. A big scam. Pay your bills and keep some cash. Buying a house or car is the only thing you need credit for unless you are doing big business IMO.

No, there doing their jobs and taking it off the report and etc, Im just looking for some credit protection thats all , Gives you an alert if someones trying to open an account with ur credit some thing like that!!. She pays her bills she makes plenty of money!!She hasnt ran her credit since 2008 when she got her lexus, So she kinda asked for it not checking but what can ya do?? Anyway thanks for the help fella's !!
thanks
phill

No, there doing their jobs and taking it off the report and etc, Im just looking for some credit protection thats all , Gives you an alert if someones trying to open an account with ur credit some thing like that!!. She pays her bills she makes plenty of money!!She hasnt ran her credit since 2008 when she got her lexus, So she kinda asked for it not checking but what can ya do?? Anyway thanks for the help fella's !!
thanks
phill

There isn't any. I have a separate card that I use for Internet and two different accounts I use for everyday(debit cards). I find it a giant pia when I have to shut down a card and wait for a replacement.

As far as credit goes I stand by my statement, it is a big scam. You are looking for some security where there isn't any.

Just like a warranty they try to sell ya on electronics or an insurance plan. They are selling you fear. All calculated up for them to make money. I know you have tried to collect on insurance and some of those warranties, haven't you. It is extra hard in hopes you will just give up and go away. Those extended warranties are profit and dang near 100% and they are taxed very differently than earned income. Look into it, it is just crazy and I would never buy one. Just selling you fear.

There isn't any. I have a separate card that I use for Internet and two different accounts I use for everyday(debit cards). I find it a giant pia when I have to shut down a card and wait for a replacement.

As far as credit goes I stand by my statement, it is a big scam. You are looking for some security where there isn't any.

Just like a warranty they try to sell ya on electronics or an insurance plan. They are selling you fear. All calculated up for them to make money. I know you have tried to collect on insurance and some of those warranties, haven't you. It is extra hard in hopes you will just give up and go away. Those extended warranties are profit and dang near 100% and they are taxed very differently than earned income. Look into it, it is just crazy and I would never buy one. Just selling you fear.

I totally agree!! I just think she was lazy with her mail.. just throwing itaway...i keep all my mail and every month i burn it!!
So how do you feel on this so call" Gudgement Day" On May 21st 2011???

I will check what you guys are talking about!! NJ isnt the best state, but i will check!! She now has 3 of the cards taking care of , in a matter less then 24hrs!! So we has 2 cards left to dispute!! Thanks for the info and input! Any more help is appraciated!!!
Phill

Also, go down to your local PD and file an identity theft report. This will protect you in the future if the actor(s) involved also obtained a driver's license. If they obtained a DL, there could be outstanding tickets and/or warrants.

If you file the report, carry a copy of it with you at all times in case something pops up if you're stopped.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Some years back I bought my wife a new wedding ring for xmas on our CC, a xmas surprise for the wife.

The CC company calls the house and asks the wife if she made a $X,XXX purchase at XX jewelers.

Thanks a lot. I told the CC company, next time check who signed it, look at the calender and ask to speak to the person who signed the receipt. It was my card and not hers even though it was a joint acct.