"crazy running GN"

pinkky

I have an 86 GN. I have owned the car since 1989. its pure stock. it has been driven very little in this time..
It has an issue and I'd love help on what it is.. :)
This car acts like it has a mind of its own, one time it will run beautifully(took a 40 mile trip last weekend and did perfectly).. Now... will not even idle....
The most obvious when its acting up is running way to rich. with all the electronics and sensors??? Now remember its not had to many
parts changed in all these years. I was wondering if the fuel pressure regulator could be a
culprit or am I totally off? ideas on where to begin? Thanks..

More likely fuel pump than regulator. Have you verified fuel pressure? Stock fuel pump and wiring was barely adequate for a stock engine and that was over 30 years ago. I wouldn’t throw parts at it but if I’m not sure what fuel pump is in one when I buy it, I replace it and install Hotwire kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More likely fuel pump than regulator. Have you verified fuel pressure? Stock fuel pump and wiring was barely adequate for a stock engine and that was over 30 years ago. I wouldn’t throw parts at it but if I’m not sure what fuel pump is in one when I buy it, I replace it and install Hotwire kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ok, I will check fuel pressure. was thinking since it was so rich. I just figured it was a sensor of some sort telling it , it needed gas when maybe it didn't. thank you for your help.

The good news is the amount of sensors on the engine are finite, there are only about 10 or less. I would guess the O2 sensor is on it's way out and since you say it has not had many parts replaced, this would be a good start along with a fresh set of plugs. If you are not going to romp on it hard, a set of Autolite 23 plugs would be a good start as well, gap them @ .028. The O2 sensor I use is a 12014 and it's fine. If you feel the need, new plug wires would complete the package. I use Comp Cams 8mm only because they were super cheap and blue and I don't even like blue but affordable was cool.