Crankcase Evacuation with the LT1 smog pump. How To:

One word of advise I had to use a 25amp fuse instead of the 20 amper supplied with the kit .:)
Blown 2 20 amp fuses. Going to a 25. This is with a 2002 T/A air pump. Maybe the early LT1 styles were only 20 amp?

So I hooked my pump up to a boost gauge to see what she would pull as far as here is the video

I plumed mine into the intake manifold where the pcv did go . I was not running one . I used 2 breathers on the valve covers to relieve the crankcase pressure. I have the pump exsaust dumping into my frame. here is a couple pictures of my setup
C562C9EE-3AAB-4E70-AE94-E11C36672A0B.jpeg
A9D43201-CD2B-44B3-BB69-C45E438750AC.jpeg

So I hooked my pump up to a boost gauge to see what she would pull as far as here is the video
I plumed mine into the intake manifold where the pcv did go . I was not running one . I used 2 breathers on the valve covers to relieve the crankcase pressure. I have the pump exsaust dumping into my frame. here is a couple pictures of my setup

Did you pull apart the pump and take the foam out and reseal it? And also remove the diaphragm and spring internally? More vacuum is had that way. Your plumbing on the other hand kinda cancels itself out. If your venting it at the valve covers with breathers, then hooking the pump to the PCV port isn't doing much of anything... It's already being vented. What is the reason that you are not using a PCV? I would still retain that with this system imo.

IMG_20170616_1.jpg
IMG_20170616_2.jpg
IMG_20170616_3.jpg
IMG_20170616_4.jpg

If the valve covers were sealed (no breathers) and the diaphragm was "not" taken out of the pump, the moment you got into load, oil would instantly shoot out of your dipstick. Using one or both valve covers to evacuate crankcase pressure in a sealed fitting or sealed breather with a spout to run to the evac pump. That vent is created by the removal of the diaphragm and spring in the evac pump under initial load (not boost). Once the hobb switch is signalled the sealed evac system pulls out the excess crank case pressure. It's not enough to warrant a catch can, but it is enough to stop those pesky oil leaks. The real beauty about the system is ridding yourself of those valve cover breathers that fumigate the interior of the car with the smell of oil vapours.

I plumed mine into the intake manifold where the pcv did go . I was not running one . I used 2 breathers on the valve covers to relieve the crankcase pressure. I have the pump exsaust dumping into my frame. here is a couple pictures of my setup View attachment 317029View attachment 317030
Did you pull apart the pump and take the foam out and reseal it? And also remove the diaphragm and spring internally? More vacuum is had that way. Your plumbing on the other hand kinda cancels itself out. If your venting it at the valve covers with breathers, then hooking the pump to the PCV port isn't doing much of anything... It's already being vented. What is the reason that you are not using a PCV? I would still retain that with this system imo.

View attachment 317038 View attachment 317039 View attachment 317040 View attachment 317041

If the valve covers were sealed (no breathers) and the diaphragm was "not" taken out of the pump, the moment you got into load, oil would instantly shoot out of your dipstick. Using one or both valve covers to evacuate crankcase pressure in a sealed fitting or sealed breather with a spout to run to the evac pump. That vent is created by the removal of the diaphragm and spring in the evac pump under initial load (not boost). Once the hobb switch is signalled the sealed evac system pulls out the excess crank case pressure. It's not enough to warrant a catch can, but it is enough to stop those pesky oil leaks. The real beauty about the system is ridding yourself of those valve cover breathers that fumigate the interior of the car with the smell of oil vapours.

i have the 2 wire pump that doesn’t have foam in it . And my future plans will me to weld a -12 male to the valve covers and seal up the pcv hole . This is on my stage motor so I’m not a fan of sucking oil back into the intake manifold . . Here is a pic of what I want to do with the valve covers . I’ll run a -12 line from the covers to a tee then a single line to the pump

Attachments

• 8D9403CA-B594-4DD9-BAAB-A29BC5D0D784.jpeg
    8D9403CA-B594-4DD9-BAAB-A29BC5D0D784.jpeg
    980.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 09A2F6F0-D884-4B2D-9BE3-1AE9CE8BD596.jpeg
    09A2F6F0-D884-4B2D-9BE3-1AE9CE8BD596.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
Your PCV shouldn't make a mess of your intake. Something is wrong there. PCV is just a check valve, shouldn't be active under boost, just vacuum and helps vent the motor as well outside of load. Anytime I take my intake off it looks super clean inside. If you have alky, even better. A good PCV or check valve with a properly constructed valley pan should stop all of that. There are no advantages in getting rid of your PCV. Your newer setup with the welded valve cover fittings makes better sense. The best vacuum is done when what you are venting is sealed up properly.
Kinda like drinking water with a straw... then putting a couple holes in the straw. Yes you can get some water out of it, but nowhere near as effective.

Your PCV shouldn't make a mess of your intake. Something is wrong there. PCV is just a check valve, shouldn't be active under boost, just vacuum and helps vent the motor as well outside of load. Anytime I take my intake off it looks super clean inside. If you have alky, even better. A good PCV or check valve with a properly constructed valley pan should stop all of that. There are no advantages in getting rid of your PCV. Your newer setup with the welded valve cover fittings makes better sense. The best vacuum is done when what you are venting is sealed up properly.
Kinda like drinking water with a straw... then putting a couple holes in the straw. Yes you can get some water out of it, but nowhere near as effective.
Thanks but there is nothing wrong with my setup . I do admit that having the beathers on the valve covers is counter acting the vacuum pump somewhat. But when I seal off the covers and pull vacuum from there it Should work alil better. I have a vacuum block off plate on top of my throttle body and am running vacuum feeds from my dog house spacer . The breathers have worked great so far there has been alil blow by that got alil oil in the intake manifold but it wasn’t anything terrible.

Oldie but goodie post. I ended up installing one of these pumps with the two wires on my car. I initially had one breather on the valve cover. The pump was used to pull crankcase vapors only in boost, and pcv was left in. I then decided to remove breather from valve cover and plug hole. Now I notice the idle is erratic due to removing the breather, this was a fixed vacuum leak and now is plugged. Anyone else have idling issues after this mod?

Oldie but goodie post. I ended up installing one of these pumps with the two wires on my car. I initially had one breather on the valve cover. The pump was used to pull crankcase vapors only in boost, and pcv was left in. I then decided to remove breather from valve cover and plug hole. Now I notice the idle is erratic due to removing the breather, this was a fixed vacuum leak and now is plugged. Anyone else have idling issues after this mod?
We need more info on how you put this together, i.e parts and pics. But it sounds like your system is plugged somewhere. 2 things to check is your pcv and the actual evac pump routing. Something is not allowing it to vent at idle. Have you pulled the pump apart and removed the diaphragm? Also check what your vacuum is reading on your boost gauge and make sure you don't have a vacuum leak. Lastly if your car has a maf, make sure your intake pipe from the maf to the turbo has no leaks.

If you blocked the only fresh air access into the engine, how do you expect the vacuum pump to extract fumes out of the block?

We need more info on how you put this together, i.e parts and pics. But it sounds like your system is plugged somewhere. 2 things to check is your pcv and the actual evac pump routing. Something is not allowing it to vent at idle. Have you pulled the pump apart and removed the diaphragm? Also check what your vacuum is reading on your boost gauge and make sure you don't have a vacuum leak. Lastly if your car has a maf, make sure your intake pipe from the maf to the turbo has no leaks.
I think I discovered my problem, as you stated I blocked off the fresh air when I added a large check valve (over thinking) before the air pump. Correct me if I'm wrong but the pcv gets it's fresh air through the air pump?

I think I discovered my problem, as you stated I blocked off the fresh air when I added a large check valve (over thinking) before the air pump. Correct me if I'm wrong but the pcv gets it's fresh air through the air pump?
The PCV and the air pump "SHOULD" be 2 completely separate things. The Evac pump has a inlet and outlet. If you open the pump and remove the diaphragm then it vents itself and the engine outside of boost. The PCV is nothing more than a check valve, it does what it is supposed to do outside of boost. Once boost is applied the PCV isn't doing anything.

The PCV and the air pump "SHOULD" be 2 completely separate things. The Evac pump has a inlet and outlet. If you open the pump and remove the diaphragm then it vents itself and the engine outside of boost. The PCV is nothing more than a check valve, it does what it is supposed to do outside of boost. Once boost is applied the PCV isn't doing anything.
My pump did not have a diaphragm, I only had to remove the foam filter. Pump and pcv seems to be working correct now. I will be running a vacuum gauge to the crankcase and taking it for a test drive. Thanks for your help.

My pump did not have a diaphragm, I only had to remove the foam filter. Pump and pcv seems to be working correct now. I will be running a vacuum gauge to the crankcase and taking it for a test drive. Thanks for your help.
I took the car for a test drive, under boost I am now pulling 5HG. I have my pump set to come on as soon as it goes into boost, since there is a ramp up time until the vacuum hits.

I installed this setup over the summer in my wagon. Using the pump, a 3 port catch can, and the -10 AN breather adapters. I also put a 2 port catch can on the PCV. That works awesome. I haven't tested the evac much, so we'll see in the summer.

died.jpg

I integrated this set up https://grannys.tripod.com/evac.html and now have crankcase vacuum even when not in boost. I had to add a large check valve right before the air pump so the pcv would not breath through the pump. I only run an oil separator on the pcv side, so far the air pump side is oil free.