Crank Sensor...How to replace?

JeffW

Whistlin' on by. Wossshhh
I'm going to attempt to replace the crank sensor on my 87 GN. All indications point to it being bad.

Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to do this? Do I need to change the bracket too?

Thanks,
Jeff

If you still have the OEM bracket, yes.
(I'm assuming you either have a front mount or you've already removed your stock location intercooler)
From underneath the car, using a large socket (something like 27 MM) turn the crank shaft balancer bolt until the gap in the interruptor ring is centered through the crank sensor. Make a note on which slot the interruptor ring passes through the sensor!
Unplug the sensor.
Using an (?) 8mm socket, remove the vertical bolt the holds the crank sensor in the bracket.
Wiggle the sensor out of the bracket and through the interruptor gap.
On the timing cover, there should be 2 13mm or 15mm (unsure) bolts that hold the bracket it place. Remove them and the bracket.
Install the new bracket onto the timing cover.
Slide the new sensor through the interruptor gap and into the bracket. Do not tighten, yet.
Slowly turn the crank and center the ring in the sensor gap. You can eyeball this if you're very careful, or most slide a matchbook cover on both sides of the ring to help center the sensor. Tighten it (the 8mm vertical bolt) when centered. And be sure that you're in the correct crank sensor slot!
Spin the crank by hand a few times to make sure that it doesn't collide, rub, etc.
Re-install the plug.
Start the car.
If you hear a ticking noise, stop the engine ASAP and re-center the sensor.