Craftsman Tool Box Opinion / Question

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
Hey Guys , I'm in need of a box and found this one at Sears for 699$ plus on Monday I get a 10 % Military discount , Have any of you guys got this box and what do you think about it ? It seems to be well made . I think its 51" wide
IMG_0653.jpg

1500# capacity? Is that for each wheel or all four combined(375# each?)

Looks like a nice enough box. Top doesn't look very deep.
Have you looked at the Home Depot, Lowe's, Harbor Freight etc... to compare?
I like my grip latch craftsman but even it is kinda light duty once you fill it with tools. Funny how heavy a drawer full of sockets and ratchets is.

Fantastic boxes for the home hobbyist. Last about 10 years under daily mechanic use.

I like the Lowes Kobalt boxes. Stainless steel, reasonable price. If I were to replace my 30 y/o Craftsman, it would likely be one of them.

See if it has roller bearing drawers, once the drawers are full of tools they pull hard without bearings.

I'm always amazed at how much someone can spend on a tool chests if they have unlimited funds! I, of course, am not one of these guys. Wish I was. I'm quite happy with my Craftsman tools and chests. But brand names are not particularly important to me. I don't have very expensive tool cabinets or chests. But I keep them well organised and they serve my purpose.

But....... my buddy used to be a Snap-On dealer years ago. So, he has all kinds of cool shit. I was surprised to see his son open the draws sequentialy extended from bottom to top and use them as a staircase to get something off a top shelf above. I mean, he's a 185 lb kid who just walks up the draws like it was a staircase. And they're filled with tools too! Incredible workmanship and strength on Snap-On stuff.

You obviously don't need anything like this. Nor do I. So yea. Shop around for a good bargain and good luck!

Military discount is available at Home Depot and Lowes every day (and they'll still be around next year)
Harbor Freight will sometimes give a military discount. Depends on location. You have to ask. (AND they have lots of coupons),

Just an idea...

I have craftsman in the garage and a harbor freight at work. Craftsman is ok but I'm really happy with harbor freight at work. I have it loaded with heavy shit. Lower drawers have steam valves steam traps. Another drawer has adjustable wrenches another Channel locks etc. I' buy another one in a heartbeat especially bc of price.

This chest that I posted pics of does have ball bearing drawers and they close very nice . This chest is way more than I need but its a good price and can always have room to grow . Its kinda like you don't think you have that much till you start putting things together , Thank you guys for the replies Keith

Obviously it comes down to how will you store your tools, how much space do you want and the price.

I have a Harbor Freight 44 inch tool box and while comparing a lot of boxes for price and styling, I knew the HF one was the one to buy.
I bought it last year at their annual March, Parking lot sale for 375 out the door taxes included.
I like the sockets to stand up right while using the Hansen socket trays. I do wish i had a longer/deeper box, but in all reality, I dont have a 'need' for that. I will be buying an additional side cabinet this year for about 175 out the door.

I suggest looking at different boxes, reading reviews and videos, but my vote is a 44inch Harbor Freight tool box.

I suggest looking at different boxes, reading reviews and videos, but my vote is a 44inch Harbor Freight tool box.
X2
That's the one I have and got the side box for Xmas . HF ( US General ) boxes got great reviews and I love mine . Yes it's loaded to the gills , rolls nice , and drawers open smooth completely loaded , I need another !!

Real nice chest set......I'd buy it if I needed one.....you can check prices at Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, etc.....you could find a cheaper chest with more cubic feet of area...never know....but, it's a nice Craftsman chest......

I've been using Craftsman chests for over 35 years and they've held up well....both of my sets are four chests high....one set each in each garage........have to use a step stool in order to reach top box, but never a problem.....still in use today....love them.............the roller drawers are a dream.

The only discount I get is for being old......real old...:rolleyes: plus, they give me 5% off if I promise not to fake an epileptic fit again on the floor like I usually do.:wacky:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Well Guys here's my new Craftsman Box I picked up yesterday . It came in two boxes and when I got home , with help , I got the casters on and it unloaded but when I un boxed the top this is what I found , I can fix it but it just hurt my Vagina , MY NEW BOX , I was so excited to get it and put together till I ran up on the bent spot , Sears made it right , It just hurt my damn feelings . Other than that it seems to be a solid box.
54145232838__8DFF80AA-B481-4B68-A6EB-8C5DFC6B7166 (1).JPG

At least you got the first damage out of the way. I have a Snap On top box damaged on top of the lid. On a different Snap On box I added a side cabinet to it and once I removed the cardboard I found a small dent in the door of it. Get a block of wood and cover it with a rag and slowly pound it back.

At least you got the first damage out of the way. I have a Snap On top box damaged on top of the lid. On a different Snap On box I added a side cabinet to it and once I removed the cardboard I found a small dent in the door of it. Get a block of wood and cover it with a rag and slowly pound it back.
I just got did that and it turned out ok , not perfect but I'm good with it . Now to cover it with stickers LOL

Back in 1996 if you bought a new Honda CR250 they would give you a free Craftsman tool box very similar to what you have. One of my brothers and a friend both bought the bikes and got the tool box. I did not have enough money or I would have bought one too. They both still have the tool boxes with no issues. I also have a craftsman tool box just not as nice. I think you will be happy.

That's so strange! The block of wood, rag and pounding is the same method my ex wife used every morning on her face to get ready for work! Awesome! What a coincidence!:eek:

Bruce '87 Grand National