Cowl Tag and VIN information

87GNasty

Hi,

I have been thinking.

i was looking over here at the VIN decoding

and noticed that all the cars begin with 1G4GJ117that are 1987 grand nationals on ebey.

so then looking at my cowl tag information here and was thinking that the 025410 would be the last digits of the VIN.

so that gives me a basic idea of vin # 1G4GJ117_hp025410 should be for my car, and that the _ is a missing digit.

so i went to car fax and tried evrything and the #5 worked, and comes up with a 1987 regal in the history report.

so could my vin # be 1G4GJ1175hp025410?

Does my logic make sense to anyone?

It does to me but like I said in the other thread that is the body number. The G-bodies built on the Pontiac MI assembly line are strange. The body or tub was built a couple of miles down the road in Flint at the Buick City assembly plant and trucked over to Pontiac to be assembled. They were assigned numbers and thats what those 6 digits are. I've scanned a copy of a SPID label for you. It has the body number on it and in this case its 142238. Now the last 6 digits on every Regal built in Pontiac will start with the number 4 like in my example. Its a Buick thing. MonteCarlo was 1,GrandPrix was 2 and Cutlass was 3. This only applies to the 87 model year. I hope this helps explains what you are looking for.

Attachments

• 87 GN SPID Build 6-87.jpg
    87 GN SPID Build 6-87.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 175
hmm this isnt going to be easy.

and here i thought that 6 digit # was the last of the vin.

they sure removed everything from this car :(