Couple engine build questions

Novacaine

Hey guys just a couple questions.
Ive gota 86 T with 128k on it i use as a daily driver that i have upgraded slowly to the present condition
stock engine
gtq67
msd 50's
art carr tranny 2800 nl
ptefmic
70mm tb and plenum w/rjc powerplate
alchy inj.
joe's 23deg. alchy chip.

So far been very impressed with the 67 and the performance of the car thus far, but the car has a few miles on it so i decided to tear it down for a freshen up session.
Im interested in what u guys think about the steel caps vs a girdle. Ive pretty much decided to stick with stock rods/pistions for now and im leaning tward gn1 alum's but am undecided about the cam.
For a pretty much daily driver occasional track use,what would u guys do with the parts i have vs a budget of about 6500 for the build?

Hi,
Your bolt ons already seem to have you capable of making a bunch of horsepower.Pick a mild cam, which with the head upgrade, should be adequate. Steel maincaps sound like good insurance to me.I would go for a set of moderately priced forged pistons instead of stock, spend some money cleaning up the rods and go for the best bolts you can buy, ARP is great stuff.If you really want total sealing, go for Cometic headgaskets. No safety valve there though.
You must find a patient and very experienced machinist in your area who can do the kind of quality work all this effort requires!
Without this, buy it all from a good race rebuilder as an assembly.

hi

I am i n the process of finishing my motor an with your budget I would go with JE Pistons an a girdle with a larger cam say a 218/218 an some good heads.. Like Champion Irons , think the GN1's will be overkill unless you want low 10's.. Frang G has a nice deal on some heads right now in the for sale section ..Also bump up the stall to @ least say 3200 to get that turbo where it can spool a lil faster.. I'm thinking of going to a Gt-67?? How do ya like yours////???

I would go with 2 center caps, forged pistons, ARP rod bolts, ARP main studs, Roller cam setup, My fully ported heads or a set of GN-1's, Decked, Balanced etc. should be around your budget and handle all the power you can put to it. If it was just a racer i'd use the girdle too. If you can't find a good machine guy i can do it all for you. Thanks,Frank:cool:

Thx for the replys guys.

Yea im diff gona go with arp's throught the build and i think im gona just stick the 14 bolt alum heads just in case in the future i get lucky and run across a stage block i can afford lol (crosses fingers...).

I just cant make up my mind where to spend a bunch on the bottom end or hold out for a stage block. The cam is another puzzler for me im thinkin somewhere between a 212 and a 218 what are the pro's and cons of cams of this size?

RUQWKNF27 as far as the 67 mine is a p-trim with a 63 housing and with the 2800 i can footbrake what ever boost i want. altho i know that will change with the increased head flow on the new build.

But one curious thing about the turbo just runnin around and stepping down on it is simply amazing. The charger comes up at almost the perfect time not to completely obliterate the tires will under hard acceleration. As it stands before i pulled the motor it was almost perfect i just hope that the new combo can work similar to how it did before. Ii'll post back to ya on how it works out i should have everything back together in 3 wks from the looks of it.