Could get heart surgery for the quotes some paint/body shops come up with...

VadersV6

The paint all over my passenger side door and quarter panel started cracking open all over about a year after I got it. I got some donations from family this christmas to have it taken care of, so I stripped all the paint off the door and quarter. there was some body filler on both...no big deal. I'm across the street from a good body shop, and the dude quoted me 2000 bucks to pop a couple trim pieces off, throw on a little filler, sand it and paint the areas. I said I didnt care about a perfect match and show quality, but he kept insisting on more work than I wanted done. He made it sound like it takes 3 weeks to pop a brake light bezel off and another month to remove the blade seal for the window. Seems some people are far too accustomed to making big bucks off of insurance companies...kinda like doctors. Lou said they were expensive but I almost shat myself when the guy said 2g's and 8 g's for a basic paint job. He suggested I sell it to Lou since I cant justify dropping that much cash on paint.:confused: :mad: Its seriously not even that much work. So I'm driving right now with no paint on 1 side and embarrassed as hell.
I need something close to work...no drives to L.A. or anything, since this is my daily driver and I have to work. Theres a place in lake forest called carmetics and it seems like they specialize in this sort of repair. Gunna check it out in the morning. Lou suggested this guy named Dick Susag or something like that, but he's no longer in business. Anyone know a local paint/body place that isnt charging breast implant surgery prices for maybe 8 hours of work?

Lou called them for me a 2 months ago for a quote on my car. :eek: For me to strip it myself molding, window trim, bumpers etc. $10k. If he strips it $14k WTF???? :mad:

They're good. But not that good. Should have told them that $14K almost buys a nice paint job attached to a nice GN.

Ever consider that the shop doesn't want the work? Why would he pass on 2-3 ins jobs that will pay more than he would make, doing your job?
That's EXACTLY why a body shop is usually not the place for custom work.
BTW, $10K for a total strip and paint is NOT excessive.
Why? PPG epoxy primer, the activator, and a gallon of reducer just cost me $300.00, and that is shop net.
Paint/materials for my Hemi car was well over $3000.

WOW... i'll trailer my car back to Maryland and trailer it back home for cheaper.. i can get a top notch paint job back there for no more then 8K, and thats them striping the car and re-installing everything back..

hav'nt you guys asked bob? that paint shop in long beach. He had some killer paint on his car!! I would'nt dare spend 14k on a paint job that might get a ding in it by a rock on a freeway:eek: that is nuts! I guess I better practice some more 2 stage painting before I ever purchase another car!!:D

Ever consider that the shop doesn't want the work? Why would he pass on 2-3 ins jobs that will pay more than he would make, doing your job?............That's EXACTLY why a body shop is usually not the place for custom work.............BTW, $10K for a total strip and paint is NOT excessive.............Why? PPG epoxy primer, the activator, and a gallon of reducer just cost me $300.00, and that is shop net.
Paint/materials for my Hemi car was well over $3000.
Not really Chuck. Any professional business that has such an amount of work should just pleasantly tell the prospective customer that they are too busy to take on any new work. And $10K for a total strip & paint may not be excessive, but that would depend upon the quality and the outcome of the work involved. I would expect a first class paint job and either show quality or slightly just under that lever of professionalism at $10K, and $14K is way out of line for even Kali standards. A lot of the really nice paint jobs that you see in Kali at the shows for all but the "Rich and Famous" generally come out of Arizona, where work is somewhat cheaper, and they are not so fussy about whether the paint is EPA approved. And even though the work and standards should be the same for a bucks up Hemi car paint job and a GN not so bucks up paint job there are not.
Additionally, we are going into a recession, especially in Kali, and whether we are into a recession deep enough for the government to post facts & figures remains to be seen, but shops that have chased potential customers away by dismissing them in such a manner might regret their hasty decisions. I am personally seeing restraunts, barber shops, car washes, and such services slow down noticably in the last 4 or 5 months out here, and if it lasts long enough, it will hit everywhere. I haven't heard what Christmas sales were, but I doubt that they were very good as compared to the last 10 years or so. Just my own opinion though.

Prices are expensive in chicago too... 8-10k for a nice paint job on a rust free car is about right. There are shops that will do it for 4k but it will suuuuuck!

Jesus. Doesnt matter that "it's normal". "Its wrong".
I know the amount of work involved. I used to do all my own bodywork on my cars as a teenager and it all came out great. This is maybe 8 hours of work total. At 75 bucks an hour, thats 600 bucks. Add like 2 quarts of paint and primer. Whats that, like 200? Its like you need to start slangin' dope just to get some paint and body work done.:mad:
Its a simple matter of people being spoiled by insurance companies. Theres a reason insurance is so expensive. Its from fraud. Staged accidents, Staged thefts, paint and body shops charging absurd amounts of money for collision repair, lawsuits, etc. When we fall into another depression, which will probably happen given that the stage is set exactly the way it was in 1929 for a full blown collapse, people will be more than happy to get 500 bucks for a paint job. 14 grand, lol. The dollar isnt worth **** anymore because greedy mother****ers everywhere have devalued it to the point that the peso is catching up. Think its from the peso becoming more valuable? Not really. Its from the dollar taking a ****.

great shop in OC

Please call Jazz Autobody for your body paint needs! I had my 87 Firebird done there, beautiful paint job with flames and colorsand for $3500 and it looks great 1 1/2 years later. I was quoted $8k for the same job elsewhere.

He also repainted both bumpers on my TTA for $400. I was quoted $800 elsewhere.

Jazz Autobody
8420 Katella Ave Ste A
Stanton, CA 90680
Tel. +1 714.527.1055

hav'nt you guys asked bob? that paint shop in long beach. He had some killer paint on his car!! I would'nt dare spend 14k on a paint job that might get a ding in it by a rock on a freeway:eek: that is nuts! I guess I better practice some more 2 stage painting before I ever purchase another car!!:D

Bob is the man.. he has painted my 300zx, the front of the Excursion and the back half of the GN.. he is the only guy i let paint my cars around here.

Bob is the man.. he has painted my 300zx, the front of the Excursion and the back half of the GN.. he is the only guy i let paint my cars around here.

Thats who is going to paint my car when I am ready. I trust him with my car and I have also seen the quality of work that comes out of his shop. Plus I dont think he would turn a Buick away.

Take a drive to San Diego. GO see Benny @ Benny's Autobody off of University Ave down near UCSD. He does good work for a good price. Cheaper if you strip the car, etc... He's done a few cars for me and I know that Neal has had a few cars done there as well.

Last quote I got was around $4k, stripping the car, pulling windows, locks, bumpers, trim, (I also pull all weatherstrip and interior and deliver the car without an interior)

If you have a AAA "plus" membership you can get free towing too.:D

i think vader just needs some panel paint done, but they are quoting him a full price job. I painted my car 6 years ago. The body is'nt as straight as it use to be, torque? but the paint is still amazing from the straight on side view. I spend about 5k total for the paint, hood, and re-anodizing the moldings. then again, I still need bumpers:D now for that was me stripping the car down, except the windows, they took those out for me. then I put it back together. I think the same job now just for the paint on a stripped car is around 5k, but I'd rather take it to bobs after I seen that gn he had:eek: that is where i'm trying to take my uncle with his 69 convertable 396ss chevelle. he expects to spend that 10k.

Take a drive to San Diego. GO see Benny @ Benny's Autobody off of University Ave down near UCSD. He does good work for a good price. Cheaper if you strip the car, etc... He's done a few cars for me and I know that Neal has had a few cars done there as well.

Last quote I got was around $4k, stripping the car, pulling windows, locks, bumpers, trim, (I also pull all weatherstrip and interior and deliver the car without an interior)

If you have a AAA "plus" membership you can get free towing too.:D

I would definitely NOT recommend taking a drive to see Benny. Nice guy but his work blows. Trust me, I'm reminded everytime I see my car.

Yep! ;) After seeing GNJays car last year at Point Fermin "The GN with black 20's" :eek:. Thats where I'm going ;) .

BlackBandit: I did not say that Benny was doing "show quality paint". Those paint jobs can get pricey. Base price is around $10 and then up from there.

I don't know what you paid Benny or even if he painted your car. He's always doen good work for me and several people I know. Bear in mind that there was a period when his son was running things and the business went down hill. However, Benny's been back for a little while and I've never had any issue with his work- especially for the price he charges.

BTW, if you have an issue with his paint job, take it back- he's good for correcting small things.

Additionally, if VadersV6 only needs a panel done, he will only be quoted for the panel and parts that need to be feathered in to match his current paint.

Almost forgot...

BlackBandit: You are the first person I have ever heard complain about one of Benny's paintjobs. I'm very surprised about this and am curious to know what was done to your car.

BTW, I have no affiliation with Benny or his shop. I fact I don't even live in the area anymore. I just know that I always refer him and have never had any issues. All my referrals are always happy with the work and the pricing.

Not trying to justify those 50k basic paint jobs.
But you guys need to remember that body work is a skill not parts changing.
Take 2 guys send them to an auto mechanic training school when they complete the coarse they can pretty much do the same work type of work at about the same quality. Torque that bolt to 50flbs using the same torque wrench.
Now take me for example my play ground was a body shop and I can’t finish a show finish if my life depended on it and I try But my brother has les practice les interest and gets a better finish then I do.