Cost to tune Gen 7 or FAST?

trbodon21

I was wondering what you guys are being charged or charging to program and tune our cars with the FAST or GEN 7 ECU??

I don't have a set price. Some of the variables I consider are:

Is the customer coming to me or am I travelling to them?
What are my travel expenses?
How much tuning is needed? (i.e. how much time to get right)
Was the system bought from me?

When I travel to other states, I try and coordinate tuning several cars (group rate).
If it's at an event that I am already at (i.e. BG), I try to tune my customers cars for free and usually charge $100-$200 to tune cars with systems bought from someone else.

Not sure if this helps.

I'm not sure who you are (no name or location), but if you offered to pay me to come tune your car and I didn't, I apologize. If it was at an event like the Nats, the customers who bought systems from me have priority, since I don't have enough time to tune everyone. Even then, this year I feel I neglected a few people whom I shouldn't have. Once again, I apologize.

Here's my schedule for those of you that have asked for tuning help. In September and October I will be in FL, GA, OH, MD, MI, and NV doing tuning sessions.

Well I left messages and sent emails for a base program and never got a response. It's ok though, I have a friend with a 8.0 mustang that knows the FAST system. I just wanted to see how your base VE would compare to mine. :)

A different answer from the West Coast: I worked with a local tuner/FAST dealer to tune my FAST setup. He charged me a flat fee of $400, which ended up covering an initial 2 hour session (actually more like 3 hours) and several followup sessions totalling another 3 hours. He had the basic tune nailed in 30-40 minutes, but the followup time allowed him to get better resolution on the VE and timing tables, and also allowed us to take the car from sea level up to 7000' or so. Retuning several years later (for cam and head changes) cost a more reasonable $95/hr. Had I purchased my FAST unit through him, I'm sure my initial session would have been more reasonably priced.

The bottom line for me was that I wanted to use a tuner that really knew what he was doing, as I was a complete novice to EFI tuning and to the FAST system. I feel I got my money's worth.

-Jeff

You say "a more reasonable $95/hr" but your $400 got you 6+ hours or $66/hr? I don't understand why you think that was more expensive?

Just to be clear: I don't regret a penny of this! The cost of the initial tune was probably the most important $400 I spent on the whole project. I'm sure EFI tuning is completely intuitive for some folks, but if you are brand new to the software and not entirely sure what you are doing, it's a very steep learning curve.

My point about the cost was simply that the initial tune was a flat $400, whether it took one hour or more. I was told by the tuner that he was sure he would have my car tuned in less than two hours, and he did, but we both agreed that we would extend the tuning session; he wanted to take the vehicle up to altitude to see how well the FAST system compensated for altitude changes, and I had the time and was happy to have him tweak things as we went. His shop was near Sacramento, so going up to 7000' was about a 3 hr round trip. The touch-up tuning session this spring was more focused, and was done on a per hour basis. "Reasonable" may have been a poor choice of words, but I wanted to convey that the first session was a flat fee (originally projected by the tuner to be $200/hr for two hours) and the follow-up session was on a per hour basis, with an hourly rate "less" than that forecast for the initial session.

Again, I feel I got full value for my money and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the tuner, Dan Fodge Engineering of Rancho Cordova, to anyone in Nor. Cal. who needs EFI tuning assistance.

-Jeff