Cost of stock engine rebuild in Canada

Hot Air Beast

Hot Air Lover
After a lot of opinions and guessing, I decided to start the process to find out what was causing my engine knock. During the change out of the timing components the pan was dropped and it was found that the oil pick-up was at least 80% blocked and at least one rod bearing was done to copper.

Now it is time to find someone to rebuild the engine.

I am looking to get more comfortable with what it is likely to cost before I actually commit to the job.

Can anyone give me an idea of the probable cost in Canada?

Phil Errett
1984 Grand National
phil@zynetonline.com
phil.errett@sympatico.ca

613-839-1619

I would plan on spending at least 5000.00 US. You can do the math. You may not need all of it for stock rebuild if you can salvage some parts,ie maybe pistons and rods ect, but thats a good start number.

Phil there is a guy selling a hot air motor on kijiji, it's in the car and running and according to the add it wasn't stupid high mileage either.

We should also go see Joe Kavanagh who I mentioned to you he built the v6 that is in my buddy's 66 Chevy II which runs 9's.

Also I spoke with my other buddy Sean, he had his long block done by Beatty and Woods and his bill was just over 5800$ canadian, line honed, decked, steel main caps, some head work etc.... he can fill you in.

We should meet up for coffee.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I have decided to go with a shop in the south end. Guy named Bob who ran the Benson's east end shop for years. When Benson closed their machine shops he bought their equip and started his own business. He has three engines on the go right now and has done GNs. This will be a winter works project as we leave for 5 months to Florida at the end of this month. Bearr's sends all their machine work to him.

Anderson in Arnprior ( guy who just did the timing set and oil pump and identified bad rod bearing) is pulling the engine next week and Bob will come up to pick it up.

Leap of faith here.

Thanks Jim. I have decided to go with a shop in the south end. Guy named Bob who ran the Benson's east end shop for years. When Benson closed their machine shops he bought their equip and started his own business. He has three engines on the go right now and has done GNs. This will be a winter works project as we leave for 5 months to Florida at the end of this month. Bearr's sends all their machine work to him.

Anderson in Arnprior ( guy who just did the timing set and oil pump and identified bad rod bearing) is pulling the engine next week and Bob will come up to pick it up.

Leap of faith here.
Sounds like you got it sorted out, good stuff, see you in the spring my friend!