Corvette 13" brakes

Originally posted by GnTooFast4u
GNVAIR, thanks for the info. Guess I´ll just wait around to see how the brake brackets work once on a car.

Paul

The rear sounds a little more difficult but I´m sure there is a somewhat easy way to do it.

If you plan on upgrading the brakes then plan on upgrading the wheels to 16" or 17". If it is the 13" brakes then you will DEFINITELY need 17" wheels.

As for the rear brakes, your easiest route would be to buy a kit from Baer or Stainless Steel brakes.
It the stupid tall flanges on the G body rears that make it difficult.
No saying impossible, but just a lot more labor intensive.

GNVAIR,
The plan is to go with the 13" C5's and I'm already in the process of buying a set of 18's to go all the way around. So The only clearence issue with the brakes would be to the wheelface. Thanks for all the help.

Paul

i have roughly $800 bucks into the C5 on my monte, but i included all of the front end parts too, like 36mm sway bar, springs, bushing, balljoints, tie rods, ub machine upper a arms. i figured since im putting big brakes on the car i should replace my 26 year old suspension parts. i am expecting the first set of test brackets early next week to check the clearance of the calipers and rotors. i have found from others that certain 17" wheels will not fit, i believe the torque thrust 2's wont fit, but since im going with the roh snypers i dont see a problem

the guys name is Brady and his email is i_Bild@comcast.net
i have the test bracket i designed and Brady built for the C5 brakes, i am just waiting for my guy to finish the hubs so i can check the entire fitment of the 13" brakes and such

C5 brakes and 17" wheel clearance

Fitment with the C5 caliper and a 17" is case by case.

On my 94 TA, I converted to C5 front brakes and had to use a 3/8" spacer with my Enkei WIN98 17x9.5 due to the caliper having zero clearance to the wheel spoke.
Other people have had no problem with their particular 17" wheel

And this is very interesting for the Buick.
Any concern for the Powermaster and setting up the brake bias?

Thanks

Evil Joe and KenB 87T

What you guys are saying is exactly what I've been trying to get across to everyone. If you design the braket for the c5 rotor to work with the c4 rotor you will not have any clearance issues with the wheel spokes. Plus I believe that the C4HD rotor is the same thickness as the C5 but actually a little bigger in diameter.

The clearnce issues I'm worried about though is not diameter. For example the c5 rotor requires the caliper to mount further to the outside of the car (.83" from rotor face), closer to the wheel face, and the c4 only puts the caliper .304" from the rotor face. When i did the 68 camaro brake swap I had to use the c4 rotor because with the c5 rotor the caliper would hit most wheels (the spokes).

i designed the brackets for the C5 only parts, since i like keeping the parts from the same car, so you wouldnt have calipers from one car and rotors from another, also the C5 rotors are pretty cheap i paid $80 for a pair of brembo's or you could get the slotted ones from gm for i believe $45 each

evil joe

I mistyped the last post, what I meant is design a bracket to use the C5 caliper with the C4 rotor but I think you got what I was trying to say. I see your point about using the parts from one car. I just wanted to throw out some info that may help others who want to upgrade their brakes without having to worry about wheels spoke clearance. Plus the fact that changing the bracket design to mount the caliper where it would work with the C4 rotor should only require moving the mounting point of the caliper inward about a 1/2 an inch. I am in no way trying to knock your design by any means and I actually thank you for taking your time to design the bracket. Because of that it may be posible for others to easily upgrade their brakes.

Paul

Oh by the way which cad program did you use to design the bracket?

i used autocad architectural desktop 2005, if i moved in the bolt holes to use the c4 rotor, going by the 1/2 inch you said it would require grinding off alot more of the spindle to get the brackets to fit at the angle requires, i just sent brady @ibild the final design for the caliper brackets so the C5 brackets will be ready for production very soon